1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink fans...Please advise

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by oneguy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

I now have dvd shrink and I must be doing something wrong because the program or something I don't know about it is making the copying process very slow. I was trying to copy a dvd but and for some reason i don't know why but it takes more then three hours and when it finally did copy it said that it "probably wouldn't fit in the specified blank media". Someone please help me! I got dvd x copy xpress a long time ago and it copies in about half hour but I only got dvd shrink now because I read that it made pretty good if not exact copies of dvd's and would even copy the dvd's that have css encryption which x copy does not. But why it's taking forever tp copy and why it told be it might not fit on a 4.7gb dvd, I don’t know. Please help me.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from one-click transcoding*

Check your IDE settings. Make sure they are set to DMA. Also, using Shrink's deep analysis and quality enhancements will add more time to the process.

3. cynthia_

cynthia_ Regular member

What CPU do you have?

4. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

I have windows xp... does that help?

5. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

To: flip

Well I don't know where to find the ide setting but I did take it off deep analysis. Now it copies in about an hour but I stil can't burn it. I have used this nero program which came with the burner but now it just fails at the end. The dvd-r after it fails does look like it's finished but the nero tells me it failed and when I try it with my power dvd it's an unsupported format. I tired so forgive me for any mistakes.

6. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

To check your IDE settings on WinXP do this:

right click on "My Computer", select 'Properties'.
    Click the "Hardware" tab, then click "Device Manager".
    Look for "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and open that branch.

Double click your Primary channel, then click "Advanced Settings".

Now It should give you a "Transfer Mode Setting" select tab, which can be set to either "PIO" or "DMA" (Direct Memory Access), and it should tell what the current setting is. If it is set to PIO change it to DMA. Then do the same for the secondary channel if you have another CD\DVD drive. =D

Now for your other point, this is what I use and I don't have any problems. Mind you I'm new at this and there is probably a easier way but this one works for me. (If there is easier way please let me know! Thxs! )

I use DVD Shrink (avail here at Afterdawn) to Encode my backup into files on my HDD.

I then use Image Tool Classic v0.91.3 to create the ISO image file needed to burn onto your DVD. It is avail here: http://mrbass.org/dvdburn/

Finally I use the DVD Decrypter to actually burn the ISO onto the disc.

I know this may seem lengthy, but like I said I'm kinda new also and I'm sure there is a better way but this one works for me. :)

Then it really depends on your system specs as to how fast it will burn it for you. Time isn't a issue for me really, I use both the Deep Analysis and the AEC when I back something up, it usually takes me about an hour to encode it, then another hour to burn it, which isn't bad, for me. Depends on your CPU alot I think. :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  7. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

Ok well I hate to bug... But now everything seams to be working, thanks to all that helped. But still even down right to the end I seam to be having the worst luck. So now i've got it burned and nero start smart said "burn completed successfully" which was great but when i tried to watch it my power dvd said it was an "unsupported format"? I don't know why so i went to my computer to see what drive could read off the burned disc and instead of saying dvd or whatever it said cd media but even then I still couldn't read what had been burnt on the disc...? Again I hate to bother but I just want to over with and be able to do it without any problems.:(

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

In Nero, make sure you select 'DVD-Video' compilation. Then drag all your files in the VIDEO_TS folder over into the VIDEO_TS folder that Nero created on the left. The reason I say to burn this way is that Nero will check to see if it's DVD compliant before you even burn. And use a rewritable until you work out the bugs.

9. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

thanks dog:) thats all my questions.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

oneguy,
    Dvd shrink is not going to be near as fast as dvd x copy xpress if you use deep analysis and quality enhancements, but you will probably get a better copy. If you want to speed it up and your not too concerned about the quality, untick deep analysis and quality enhancements.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

No, it won't be as fast by a factor of 10X BUT it will look 10X better - Heh, heh, it's them numbers again -