1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink file still too big

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by matt-man, Jan 4, 2005.

1. matt-man

matt-man Member

Apologies if this is a simple problem and I have missed a thread explaining this.

I am using DVD Shrink to back up disc 2 of CITY of men series which contains 5 episodes (no special features) and the file it creates is just under 4.8gb and so will not fit on dvd-r.

Can i shrink this down any more without losing the Audio as this seems to be the only thing i can remove.

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

What types of audio are on the DVD? Are there any audio streams that you can remove? For example if it has AC3 audio and some other types of audio you may remove those other types.

When you open a disc a quick analysis is done. Sometimes that quick analysis is not very accurate as to how much compression can be applied. Try clicking the Analysis button and let it do a deep analysis. I have had disc's where the quick analysis said that the size was 300MB over, but once deep analysis was done it could get the size down to about 4475MB. This is larger than we normally like but is within the dvd specs and can be burned on a high quality disc.

DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL and DVD-R/DVD-RW exact sizes
    DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
    DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )
    DVD+R DL = 8 547 993 600 bytes ( 8152 MB )

If removing some audio is not possible and if using deep analysis does not get it to size that can be burned, then you will have to shrink twice.

Shrink once to a Hard Drive Folder or a ISO Image File, then open that and shrink it a second time.

3. matt-man

matt-man Member

Many Thanks for your help I think it may be a case of shrinking it twice I will try later when I get home and see how I get on.

With regard to the Audio stream I believe it was the only file on there that was removable, it was about 225mb and i presumed that this would be the main audio file

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

You can also just select any title, then choose custom from the compression drop down menu (instead of automatic) and then either use the slider or type in an amount of compression to apply. It wouldn't take much since you're close to where you need to be anyway.