1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink for DVD-5

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by aniwahal, Feb 28, 2005.

1. aniwahal

aniwahal Member

Hi,
    I use DVD Shrink to copy DVD-5 instead of DVD Decrypter, which means I dont decrypt at all - simply use Encoding using Shrink and then use Shrnik to burn as well. This works well - but still wanted to check if anything wrong with it?
    Thanks

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Are you backing up to dvd+/-R? Are you backing up copy protected discs? If your answer is yes to any or both of the questions then yes, you will need a burning program and or a better ripper since shrink is not capable of ripping tristar/columbia releases since late December on its own.

Just out of curiosity, if you do back up to dvd-/+R what program do you use to burn with?

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there aniwahal welcome to aD,

No, nothing is wrong with the way you're doing it. As you know DVD Shrink has it's own ripper so that for the majority of discs you work with you won't require the use of DVDD.

Actually, the easiest way to do a DVD-5 is to use only DVDD in the ISO Read MODE then switch to the ISO Write MODE. A more perfect backup cannot be had anywhere :)

Cheers,

Pete

4. olamite

olamite Regular member

sounds like me,i started out using dvdd,then discovered shrink a short while later,now all i use is shrink for the entire process,is there an advantage to using dvdD to rip?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Only real big advantage is Decrypter is being updated and Shrink is not. What I mean is Shrink will work fine for 95% of the movies out there right now but that will soon become lower as more and more new movies will have the newer encryption on them. So eventually you will need Decrypter or you could go with AnyDVD and continue using Shrink as you are now, and you wouldn't notice any difference because AnyDVD works in the back ground removing all the encryption. Decrypter is also a little faster at ripping a movie and it actually will burn an ISO (image) file. While Shrink needs a burning app to go with it, but it is compatable with a few of them. The ones I know work with Shrink off the top of my head are Nero, Decrypter, and Copy2DVD

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That would be the list alright :)