1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink freezes the computer

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by deggdegg, Dec 11, 2004.

1. deggdegg

deggdegg Member

I've tried using DVD Shrink on a few DVD's lately, and usually between 30-50% into the reading of the disk, my entire computer freezes. I can't move the mouse of anything, and the only option is to shut off the computer by pressing the button on the front. I've tried many things to try to fix this, but it keeps on happening. I've tried:

-DVD Shrink Backup from the disk
    -DVD Shrink Backup with Deep Analysis from the disk
    -DVD Shrink Backup from an iso file created by DVD Decrypter
    -DVD Shrink Backup with Deep Analysis an iso file created by DVD Decrypter

It's weird- I can get the iso file on my computer without any problems with DVD Decrypter, but then I can't Shrink it. Just so you know, DVD Shrink has worked in the past. I've created about 10 DVDs with it, and it has worked fine up until now. I also tried the above steps with 3 different DVDs, and they all do the same thing.

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

You might want to check all of your fans. Sounds like a heat problem as Shrink will push your processor during the deep analysis and encoding process.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

He deggdegg, Definitely check your fan/fans. I was having trouble with "black screen of death"lol, right after i started using dvd shrink. I read a few forums where shrink sometimes heats the tower up 5 degrees. I replaced my heatsink fan,added extra 80 mm fan, and a video card blower. I am running very strong ever since the additional fans.One thread I read,the member put a regular room fan pointed on his tower.You might want to try: dvd shrink,main movie only,no extras,and no enhancements. When I was having this issue,it did not lock up my pc with these steps.Just a little info that might help ya out. Later

4. lightman2

lightman2 Member

Fair point re temp. Or could it be the dvd youre trying to shrink?::
    eg. Has anyone tried shrinking "Mean Girls"? Shrink appears to hang, but I guess its just down to the complex structure of this DVD (Extras=Games!), it has hundreds of titles. Give it time (ie. minutes to 1st read the structure) and it will operate as normal.

Guess there must be lotsa dvds now with fancy extras.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  5. deggdegg

deggdegg Member

Thanks guys- I opened up the tower and cleaned off the fan. The vent between the fan and the processor was almost completely covered in dust- I doubt much air from the fan was getting to the processor as it was. But I cleaned away all the dust, started the computer back up, and was able to use DVD Shrink just as I had previously, and used it to copy two DVDs. Thanks again...I never would have thought of trying that.

6. chaztrons

chaztrons Guest

I have also been having trouble with Shrink locking up my computer. It gets all the way through the preview and lockes it up tighter than a frogs u know what. I have extra fans running and no problems with heat. Thing is it did this using DVD region + CSS also. Thats why I am trying the Shrink.
    Any thoughts....As it goes I cant even get to the point of burning.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2004
  7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello chaztrons, Shrink locking up pc.Explain what and how you are trying to do your backups.I backup region 1 dvd's and burn them region free.Also post your pc specs,burner model,all software for burning,ripping, and media you are trying to use.Sounds like you have other issues except cooling. This will help on solving your issues. Later

8. crxshn

crxshn Member

Merry Christmas to all

I too am experiencing the same problems with the pc freezing when using DVD Shrink

Though when I use it to copy from other 4.7gig dvds it works fine.... usually only takes 12 - 15 mins to back up

But when it comes to backing up DVD9's or other DVD's higher than 4.7gig, my pc totally freezes when there is about 30-20 mins left in encoding. I even tried doing so reauthoring it selecting only the main movies I preffer to watch

My friend told me that it could be a region issue or some codec that needs to be installed. I'm a newbie at this so any help will be appreciated, I will try to look into the heat issue , but I already removed the walls from my tower and cleaned the fan and have a room fan blowing into the HD.

help !!

9. crxshn

crxshn Member

[bold]Explain what and how you are trying to do your backups.I backup region 1 dvd's and burn them region free.Also post your pc specs,burner model,all software for burning,ripping, and media you are trying to use.Sounds like you have other issues except cooling. This will help on solving your issues. Later[/bold]

I'll start off by trying to "back up" Season DVDs of manga eg. Outlaw Star/Yu Yu Hakisho etc.open DVD Shrink ->Open Disc->select E drive which is my burner->Backup->wait until it freezes :(

My pc specs are a Intel P4, 2.26GHz, 256MB DDR, 40GB HD, windows xp, LG GSA-4160B DVD dual layer

I only have DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter. Somebody did suggest that i try to use "DVD2One" but cannot find anylinks for a full/cracked version, it is not a freeware app and i choose not to pay for that.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Happy holidays crxshn, I am unsure about the codecs being an issue. Is your target set in dvd shrink for custom-4300 mbs? I don't use dvd decrypter to burn,however I have it on standby in case I run into certain dvd's that you have to rip it aggresively,like shaun of the dead,bourne conspiracy. I use nero as my burn engine. You can click the link for a free 30 day trial.Just make sure you check the enable burn with nero box in the dvd shrink's preferences.Some people also have to disconnect all their background apps like the net,antivirus,and screen savers.Dvd shrink will max out your processor,this is where the heat issues come in. No multi-tasking.Also,256 mbs of ram is pretty small. 512 and higher is recommended.Give the nero a shot,I even bought it on ebay for my father for $10.00.With nero and shrink,I have no trouble ripping and burning those dv-9's,main movie only.Do you use all of shrinks quality enhancement on those dv-9's?

11. codabiz

codabiz Member

Backing up an ISO file in DVD shrink latest version 3.2 freezes computer at 2 or 3% stage.

If I remove Creative Play center software v. 3.02.52 I can get to 18% or so before freezing. Think part of the problems are with the installed Creative Soundblaster Live Value soundcard and/or related software.

I'm using Win 2000 Pro SP4 with Athlon 1.4Ghz Proc: Asus A7V M/B

12. zeeman

zeeman Member

I also have problem with my dvd shrink it freezes my computer completly when saving to hd.Today i came to 50% without deep analyzis and no video preview but then it froze!Checked cpu temp when restarted (bios)was only 34 celsius so its NOT a temp issue.What to do?
    Amd ath 64 3000+,512mb,160 g hd,xp home
    only thing i havent tried is to convert from fat 32 to ntfs is that nessesary? Or can it be the dvd player that cause the error,lose track or something?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  13. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Checking the CPU temperature after it has restarted doesn't tell you anything other than the it has cooled down in the process.

Get some temperature monitoring software to use while encoding.
    http://www.passmark.com/products/temperature.htm

14. Sputnik_

Sputnik_ Member

Well folks all I know is that in some instances including mine. I have had no freeze-ups using a LITEON 12X DVD+-R/+-RW dual format drive that comes with NERO Express/StartSmart, I downloaded the Free Nero 6.1xx and it used my keycode and installed it. Whether I'm using the 6.1xx or not I don't know, but its working fine. I still only get good copies by using Shrink only. When I try to add Video files or import thru NERO from folder on HDD I get chopped up movies. Hope this helps!

15. Sputnik_

Sputnik_ Member

Zeeman, you asked if converting to NTFS was necessary. Fat32 only allows you to copy 4gb's max, NTFS allows up to 10gb. You do the math ... you can partition HDD to half FAT32 & half NTFS if you really needed to.

16. steve666

steve666 Member

Hi, I have a similar problem to this, I have tried DVD shrink to back-up a dvd of mine and it Hangs the computer in the burning stage at exactly 36% into the main movie, I have tried Nero and DVD decrypter and both of these stop at exactly 36% also.
    The film is backed up to hard disc and works fine, no problem, it is only in the burning.
    I am burning to SONY DVD+RW discs.
    My computer is an AMD Athlon XP2400+, 512mb ddr, radeon 9000 128mb and 120gb hd.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve

17. serecyn

serecyn Member

I'm using an IO Magic 8x DVDRW, and I'm had the same problem. EVERY burning program I used locked up at about 22%. It wasn't just with video, but data also. It had worked for about two good burns after I installed it. Then, I reformatted my machine and put the same version of XP back on it, and that's when it started happening. I called the manufacturer's tech support, and they sent me the firmware update for the drive. After I installed it, I haven't had a coaster since. Not only that, my burner doubled the maximum burn speed.

18. zeeman

zeeman Member

Thanks for your help My problem was properly a bad memory
    section,the computer begun to lock and freeze with other programs as well.So just got it back from a guarantee repair and they had change some memorycard.Tried to rip a cartoon dvd (Just 4.1g orginal)and NO problem.Will try a dvd9 soon and see how it goes i let you now then.
    thanks again