1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Freezing during backup

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by pany, Jun 17, 2004.

1. pany

pany Member

First – This was posted in another room but had no hits after 3 days…I guess I picked the wrong room (software).

I have been using DVD Shrink 3.1.7 for a few weeks without a problem. Now, when I am doing a backup DVD Shrink freezes my PC and I must reboot. It never freezes at the same point (ie. using the same movie it freezes at 10%; 18%; 6%; 46%). I am using Nero to burn the DVD but it fails during backup. This happens with all DVD’s.

I am using a HP Athalon 1.1ghz, 80gb Hard drive, 384 mb RAM. I have at least 50gb on the hard drive and lately try to run DVD Shrink with at least 175mb of RAM free. My system is XP Home and my DVD Drive is a Lite-On LDW-811S.

I have removed DVD Shrink and re-installed but still have same problem.

If I switch to DVD-X-Copy Platinum it copies and burns without a problem...but I would rather use DVD Shrink.

I know that this topic has come up before. I have read all the theories. Just to let you all know that I have seen and have tried.
    I disable my screensaver while running DVD Shrink.
    I tried running on low priority,
    I tried running it while my Anti-Virus was disabled,
    I tried running it by un-attaching Nero from Shrink,
    I tried running it with the PC case open and a household fan cooling down the drive (easier than installing a new fan and much quicker to test-also keeps the drive cooler than a PC exhaust fan),
    I tried each of the above separately and in different combinations.

Still no success. I tried running it with Task Manager open and it seems to constantly have around 96-100% CPU usage at all times while running Shrink. When the system froze it showed over 100meg of Ram (Physical Memory) available. So it does not look like a memory problem.

Of course when it freezes I cannot bring up Task Manager or anything else.

It would fail anywhere between 8% and 86% encoded. No rhyme or reason as to when it will freeze. Also when I first started to use Shrink it would encode in about a half hour. Now it shows in the estimated time to encode of around 1 hour.

Any suggestions?????

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Well you've certainly done your homework!

I'll take a stab at it and suggest that updating your ASPI could possibly help (and certainly couldn't hurt).

Here's a good link to the download and instructions:

http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm#ASPI

Let us know if this helps :)

3. kyle808

kyle808 Member

have you tried uninstalling 3.1.7 and install Shrink 3.0 Beta? That might work... 3.0 Beta works good for me.. no problems.

4. pany

pany Member

[bold]Nephilim[/bold]
    Tried this last night. I downloaded v 4.71 from adaptec, as v.4.60 is not for XP. After installation I ran Nero Infotools and ASPICK and got the following:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If the above charts come out clear... you will see according to ASPICK that I am missing WOWPOST.EXE & WINASPI.DLL. In Nero Infotool it shows that for the Nero Aspi it installed WINASPI32.DLL and is working properly, but in Infotool the System Aspi is corrupted.

Anyway I rebooted and then tried to copy a disk. It froze at 17%. I had also installed FreeRam XP Pro which showed that at the time the system froze I had 80meg of Free Ram. The Shrink Encoding screen showed a buffer of 51meg and a rate of 1783kb/s. Even though it showed 17% done it also showed it had 1hr 3min left to go.

What should I do to complete the ASPI install. The guide talks about Part1 & Part2 but 4.71 does not have it segeragted into parts. Or does it appear ok??

5. pany

pany Member

[bold]kyle808[bold]
    If all else fails I will give it a try...but where did you get that version from. Can't find it anywhere, most of the 3.0 links link to the new version and the DVDShrink.com site does not show that version anymore.

6. pany

pany Member

[bold]Nephilim [/bold]

The charts did not come out, I will try again:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. pany

pany Member

[bold]Nephilim [/bold]

The aspick chart:
    [​IMG]

8. kyle808

kyle808 Member

well, just so you know.. in Nero it also shows my ASPI for "system" is corrupted, but Nero's ASPI shows be working fine, and DVDshrink and Nero works perfectly, so I don't know what to tell you.

Have you ever thought maybe you need a new burner or DVD-ROM drive... maybe it's your drive that's malfunctioning. try to borrow another drive to rip it to see what happens.

9. pany

pany Member

The dvd drive works fine with all other programs. If I use Platinum X-Copy I have no problem burning. The problem I am having is the encoding part in DVD Shrink. The Analyzing of the disk in Shrink goes thru fine. It is when it encodes that the system freezes.

10. kyle808

kyle808 Member

Have you tried another ripper like DVD Decryptor? Maybe you can rip it with DVD Decryptor and then open the files in Shrink and then try backing up again, if it works then you know there's an issue with Shrink and your dvd drive.

maybe you can try ripping to another physical hard drive, not just another partition to see what happens.

have you tried to switch your drive to master or slave, or vice versa.. maybe a faulty IDE cable, try a new one.

Try another stick of memory...

I usually have to try every possible troubleshooting steps when I run into weird problems myself when I get problems. Sounds like you already tried everything, but it wouldn't hurt if you try my suggestions too. good luck.

11. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

I used to have simliar problems with my old tower. Check the bios and see if you can run your processor at a lower clock speed. I had a 1050MHz Athlon in this tower, and it was crashing repeatedly (started one day and gradually got worse.) I looked in the bios to see if there might be anything I could change, and I had the option to run my processor at 900MHz, after which it never crashed again. I can't say whether it was a 900MHz processor originally that was overclocked, as that computer was passed onto me as a gift, but do check your bios and see if you can't run your processor at a slower clock speed.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

pany

Download Force Aspi and give it try. When you've installed it then check it using Nero's info tool it will state that Aspi is correctly installed and working.

Force aspi has now been updated to 4.71.2

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

13. pany

pany Member

[bold]Sophocles[/bold]
    Thanks for the link. I was able to load ASPI succesfully.

However, still cannot get through the encoding on Shrink.

I will try to look at my Bios next. If not might try to boost my RAM to 512meg from 384 even though that does not look like the problem since when it freezes it always has at least 80 meg available.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Try a couple of simple things first, check your DMA settings. If your Burner is set to P10 then that alone could cause hangups. Make sure hard disk is defragmented. If you have applications running in the background shut them down during encode.

15. Galbin

Galbin Guest

Of course...the opposite may be true. One of your memory chips may be expiring. Try removing one chip at a time. DVD shrink should run fine with only a single 128 meg chip.

16. pany

pany Member

[bold]Sophocles [/bold]
    The Primary & Secondary IDE Settings in Device manager show DMA if available.

[bold] Mattrage , Galbin[/bold]

Have not checked the Bios or the memory chips yet. However I think my next step will be to convert from FAT32 to NTFS, and then go from there.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

pany

Good idea.

18. JoeyDryer

JoeyDryer Member

I have had the same problem. I have a win2000 sys (3.0 GHz HT, 2Gb ram, brand new Plextor drive). DMA is fine, ASPI is updated. It even freezes in safe mode for god sake. ARGH! Anybody know of a valid link with a more stable older version?

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

JoeyDryer

I'm not sure I completely understand your question could you elaborate a bit?

20. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I also had a similar problem with Win2k/NTFS/2.6GHzP4/512DDR with only the essential S/W loaded. As it went, I DL'd DVD Shrink a couple of weeks ago, and it started out problem-free. Then the bugs. I changed (increased) my virtual memory settings, and things seem to be going OK right now. Here is a good discussion (with fixes) concerning virtual memory:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

You may also be on the verge of a hardware failure problem. The best way to check memory is through a free diagnostic offered by Microsoft: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp . If you get bad chip readings, and they are the same for each module, the chances are that the MB is what is going bad. Intel also has a similar program for its CPU's, however, I don't know about AMD.