1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink freezing my pc

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by perthblue, Jan 21, 2005.

1. perthblue

perthblue Member

Hi

I have been using dvd shrink 3.1 for months without a hitch. Just recently during the encoding process it is either freezing (just dvd shrink) or sometimes my pc itself freezes and needs to be rebooted. I suspected my dvd drive but have replaced this without success. It happens with numerous movies and as far as I know my system hasn`t been changed.
    Any ideas?

2. dan1975

dan1975 Member

I've been having exactly the same problem. I use nero to burn and can burn dvd's by taking off the extra's etc but as soon as I start using dvd shrink to compress it, after about 5 minutes it freezes.

I've read suggestions that it could be to do with the cpu overheating so I cleaned my fan and even use a normal household fan at the back but still, it bloody freezes.

Grrr

3. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

check you cpu temps i found a heat problem to be the cause of lock ups.pull the case door off see what happins it is winter where i live and in running my heater means the air pulled in the case is hotter causing my lock ups.

4. bardie

bardie Regular member

Perthblue......it's strange how you say you have been using Shrink for months without a hitch and only now you are having problems. It might be a good idea to upgrade to 3.2 as well.
    It possibly could be heat, but also what you are running at the same time as encoding. Your CPU works hard to do this and must have all the resources available to do it well.
    I assume you have all programs disabled including sreensavers, firewalls and virus scanners and you don't use the computer whilst encoding is underway.
    Programs that conflict will also cause freezing.
    Maybe give shrink a rest and try DVD Decrypter and see if that is a help.

5. perthblue

perthblue Member

Thanks for the responses. I think you could be right about the heat..it has been hot here for the past few weeks.I`ll check that out. As for dvd decrypt I can use it but I don`t know what to do with the files it creates!
    (using nero)

6. bardie

bardie Regular member

I had to put extra intake fans and exhaust fans in my computer as I too live in a hot climate and it did the trick, dropped CPU temp from 45 to between 28 and 35 degree's C.
    When you go to use DVD decrypter create a file somewhere that may have the name 'DVD burns' and tell decrypter to put the files in there so when you want to use Nero to burn you will be able to find it again, easy.
    Pete, in Geraldton.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005