1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink getting slower?? no solutions??

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by asusm6n, Sep 16, 2004.

1. asusm6n

asusm6n Member

I've been reading these forums for a while now, and it seems like others have this problem...the answers are scattered and random at best...i know this might be redundant but i thought others might be in the same position

When i first used DVD Shrink my encoding times were 20-25mins (first 5 dvd's) , then it jumped to 40-45mins, now im encoding at 1hr10mins !! i don't understand this ?!? i haven't changed any settings since my very first encoded dvd and the compression is usually constant around 70%, plus im not enabling the deep anaylsis option

These are the specs:
    Pentium M 1.7Ghz 1GigRam Windows XP Pro
    Toshiba SD-R6372 4Xdvd+-
    Hitachi 60gig 7200rpm
    Verbatim 1X-4X DVD-R media
    DVD Shrink 3.2

Solutions i've attempted:
    1. Checked primary and secondary IDE Advanced tab settings - both are set to 'DMA if available'
    2. Defragmented the system - no change
    3. no adware/spyware to my knowledge
    4. Someone posted a solution where they used an 'InCD clean tool' ... im not sure what this does or if it works? does anyone have any experience or success with this?
    5. trying firmware - their isn't any existing firmware for the model i have, also, i know that the burner was endcoding at 4X initially, but slowed to a snails pace..aaaahhh so frustrating !

Burning with Dvd Encryptor is perfect, at 4X it averages around 17mins :) DVD shrink is the only problem im having and i feel like if i don't figure this one out im looking at lengthier and lengthier encoding times...If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

In Preferences of DVD Shrink , do you have Run analysis and back-up in low priority mode to improve Multitasking ticked ?? Are you multitasking while Shrink is doing its thing ?

3. donpiere

donpiere Member

If you can, try resetting your options in shrink to default. Of course i'm sure you understand the larger the movie the more the copying time.You also didn't mention anything about analysis prior to encoding which sometimes can be as take some time. Are you aware of this? Your copying times seem fair if your using options for better image quality but not for default options. Hope this helps.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That setting is inconsequential. What is the Current Transfer Speed?

5. asusm6n

asusm6n Member

Thanks for the replies !

Ok, since my last post, my encoding speed has decreased by HALF !! What is going on ?? last night it was hovering around 2,000KB/s and NOW its 1,305KB/s with all the same settings, which is default. Yesterday it took 1hour10mins, today it takes 1hour45mins!! with the same DVD !

do you have Run analysis and back-up in low priority mode to improve Multitasking ticked ??
    No, i don't. My preferences have never been changed, they are default

Your copying times seem fair if your using options for better image quality but not for default options
    my thoughts EXACTLY ! i do however, have 'compress video with high quality adaptive eror compensation' ticked and set to 'sharp', BUT that doesn't explain why the encoding times are decreasing while using the same DVD.... H. E. L. P.

6. cynthia_

cynthia_ Regular member

I have noticed by some posters that in some cases a defrag of your hard disk can solve this type of slow speeds.

7. comcipher

comcipher Member

I'm having the same problem. I've got two main systems. My desktop, which I use the most is at 2 Ghz P4 system 768 Mb RAM, plenty of hdd space , a DVD-ROM and a DVD+/-RW. DVD shrink used to run at about 4,000 KB/s when encoding, but recently it's been running really slow, usually hovering around 1,600 KB/s . I can use the exact same version of the program on my laptop, which is a 1.6 Ghz AMD Athlon XP-M procesor with 512 MB RAM and it encodes at a normal 3,400 KB/s . Why the sudden slow down? This has gotten out of control and I don't know why. When my system was running like it was suposed to I could of ripped and burned at least 2 DVD's in the time it takes this to just encode one. Anybody have any suggestions?

8. burris

burris Member

One of the solutions that was suggested by another poster solved my problem.

Mine was somewhat related in that it not only slowed down, but virtually always froze up at about 50-60%.

The solution for me was to look inside the case and discover that I had inadvertently unplugged my processor cooling fan when installing another burner about three months ago.
    Maybe check to see if all fans are running and dust has not built up too much....

good luck....

burris

9. comcipher

comcipher Member

Naa, that's not the problem here. Everything in my PC is running fine, processor fan, plus the other 3 80mm fans. No problems there. I think it may be partially one of my DVD rom drives, but even using the other good drive ( the burner ) it goes slower than it should on a 2 ghz P4 system. Using my other drive it runs at about 2,600 or so. Acceptable, but not like what it used to run at nearly 4,000.

10. bruwery

bruwery Member

I had a similar problem - i.e. encoding and burning seemed to be too slow.

My settings also said "DMA if available", but the system was actually running in PIO mode in spite of that. It's like Nephilim said: the setting is inconsequential, what matters is the Current Transfer Speed shown immediately under the setting. The Current Transfer speed should show DMA.

If it says "PIO", try this: (it's how I solved my problem)

Go to the Windows XP Control Panel, under Systems and pull up the hardware detail.

Click on "Secondary IDE Controllers" (Assuming your burner is a secondary - if it's primary, click on primary)

Remove the Secondary IDE Controllers.

Reboot. Windows will see the controllers and the drive, and add them automatically.

Go back into System and check the settings. In my case, Windows reinstalled it in PIO mode, so I changed it to "DMA if available", rebooted, and when I went back into System the next time, the transfer setting said "Ultra DMA 5" or something like that, and everything is amazingly quick now.

Later, I ran into a DVD which caused an error and sent the drive back into PIO mode, at which point I successfully repeated the above process.

I can't explain why I had to go through these steps, but for whatever reason, it worked.

Good luck.

11. fd3s

fd3s Member

ok...just read through this thread and im having the same problems. I just defragged all HD's on the computer, all drives are in an Ultra DMA transfer mode, brand new SONY DRU-710A dual layer burner, and i get encoding rates around 1800kb/s when it used to be in the 5000kb/s range. (????????????)

12. Specs

Specs Member

My comp is skrewing up also....Very very very slow.....I tried everything and still NO luck....I can't stand it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone help please =( THANKS
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Djs do it with 12 inches"[/small]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  13. comcipher

comcipher Member

I tried uninstalling my primary IDE ( had my burner on it ) and reinstalling but there's a problem when reinstalling. Windows can see my dvd drives fine and they seem to work alright, but in the device manager it only shows secondary IDE controller , Unknown device ( I belive that it used to be the primary IDE controller), and VIA Bus Master IDE controller. Any ideas?

14. comcipher

comcipher Member

Well, I still have the same problem but all the drives seem to work fine, and DVD shrink has returned to it's normal speed. Still looking for a solution but the situation is acceptable for now :)