1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink getting slower

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by chemmixer, Apr 1, 2005.

1. chemmixer

chemmixer Guest

why is it that dvd shrink is now getting slower. I have been using it now for about 2 months and now over the past couple of days it takes longer to analyze, and encode now than it did just a couple days ago. It also takes longer to burn now, is there anything I can do to make it speed up. Is it posible to uninstall it and reinstall it will that help??

2. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

You might want to see if you are using pio or if you are in the dma mode, to do this Go to My Comp.>View System info>Hard ware> Device manager>Click on ur IDE ATAPI controllers>Double click on primary and secondary seperatly>Click on advanced settings should say in pio or dma..

3. chemmixer

chemmixer Guest

I checked that and i am in the dma mode, is there any other thing that could be wrong???

4. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Primary and secondary?

5. chemmixer

chemmixer Guest

yes both

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

are you using different settings? ie. deep analysis and/or quality enhancements?

7. chemmixer

chemmixer Guest

not that i know of, all i do is just hit open disk it analyzes and after that i just hit backup. is there a way to find out if it is set on deep analyze or not??

8. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Why is it that dvd shrink is now getting slower.

I have been using dvd shrink now for about 2 months and now over the past couple of days it takes longer to analyze, and encode now than it did just a couple days ago.

It also takes longer to burn now, is there anything I can do to make it speed up.

Is it posible to uninstall it and reinstall and will that help??

9. Veblin

Veblin Active member

And will my translation help.

10. chemmixer

chemmixer Guest

what translation are you talking about, that does not answer my question, is there any way to find out if it is set on deep analyze or not? I am not trying to be mean but all i want is to have it back running at the speed it was running at.

11. waldrop

waldrop Member

I've been experiencing this same problem. The analysing process is fine, it takes no time but, when the encoding begins it takes 4ever. It wasn't like this in the beginning. What has happened???????????????

12. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Like flip said in ur shrink open it up click on quality settings, their is a tab that maybe has perform deep ananilis that has a check on it if the movie is long enough it will do this. First analize it then decodes it in the same setting, with no pause, I bet thats what it is. I guess try to unclick it if you wish it is not a bad idea to do this though, I do it on all my movies. I guess their is a hidin message in verbins message?

13. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

After it anailizes it quickly, then you hit backup right then in that box hit quality settings. Forgot that part. See if perform deep analizes is on. Good Luck.

14. waldrop

waldrop Member

It's definatly not on deep analysis I dont analyse or encode on that. One thing I 4got to mention, when the encoding part first begins the rate gets up to about 8,500 and i'll have like 10% encoded in like 60 seconds. Then out of nowhere the rate speed starts to fall 8300,7900,7300,6700,it will keep dropping and dropping sometimes it falls all the way to 1100 and thats when it takes an hour and a half to burn a movie. On the average it will drop to 2500 to 3500 and that puts me right at an hour for the whole process to be done. I am really lost on this issue usually I can troubleshoot and find and fix the problem but, this has me totally lost. It's not the primary and secondary IDE channels the both of them are set correctly. I dont have any programs running in the background, I've even went as far as to shutdown all firewall and virus programs while burning but, nothing has worked. Any suggestions.... I'm ALL EARS.

15. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

waldrop,
    If it is doing what you described it is probably going into PIO Mode. Windows does that automatically after 6 errors . It starts out at DMA2 > 6 errors> DMA1> 6 errors> PIO4>6 errors>all the way down to PIO1. If you can and feel confident open the computer case and check all of your cables making sure they are secure.
    You might even run regseeker ( free I think still and you can Google for it ) and clean out the registry of possible conflicts. This will also cause the computer to have conflicts and revert down to Pio Mode

If using DVDShrink and you want a fast encode then do not use the Quality Enhancements. You can also revert back to another version of Shrink like 3.17. I you want it I think www.mrbass.org might have the old version of Shrink

16. waldrop

waldrop Member

So when I run the Registry cleaner what is it exactly that I am looking to delete? I see many file paths missing but what exactly am I looking for here?