1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink has sloooooowed dowwwwn

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by oquela, Mar 14, 2005.

1. oquela

oquela Member

I've read the forums lately, and a lot of people seem to be having the same problem: "It worked well for a while (many disks) and now it is slow." It seems to be quite common; is there POSSIBLY a reason why it seems to have ground to a crawl to so many people at the same time? I know that the easiest solutions are:
    1)Defrag the drive
    2)check for viruses/spyware/etc.
    3)turn off all unnecessary progs.
    4)DMA on
    5)check ASPI layers
    etc.
    It just seems coincidental that so many people are having the same issue. I don't claim to be an expert, but one thing I do know: computers don't just start acting the same way, coincidentally, by themselves.

does anyone agree? any solutions?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What in particular has slowed down?(initial analyzation, deep analyzation, encoding, burning, ect.) What kind of times are we talking about for each process? What are your specs?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  3. havingfun

havingfun Member

I am having a same problem with Shrink. It worked fine until about a month ago. I haven't change anything as far I know. Also I have two computers that I am using with almost identical spec except two different DVD burners. One computer works fine without slooowing down much but my other computer takes so long to copy my DVD movies now. The initial analysis is normal speed but encoding and burning takes forever now. I am not running any programs in background at all while I am copying dvds and DMA is enabled as suggested. But I can't figure it out why it takes so long for one computer but not the other one. I am running out of ideas how to debug this thing. BTW, DVD Decrypter works fine on the same computer. I deleted the programs and reinstalled latest downloaded from different site DVD Shrink 3.2 without success. Hopefully someone can figure out what's causing it to slow down. I will post the solution if I find out what's wrong but I doubted at this time.

4. oquela

oquela Member

The initial analyzing is normal, about a minute and a half. the encoding takes a while (sometimes as long as 2 hours) and the burning is now very slow (2-3 hours to burn on a Pioneer 4x dvd-4) the light on the drive now actually goes out and back on again after a while, until the disk is completed (the green light used to pretty much flicker on at such a high rate that it seemed it was ALWAYS on throughout the burn before) This never took this long before.

the system is a Compaq PIII 800mhz/384mb running Win98SE. DVDShrink (newest version) and Nero Burning Rom 5.x.42

What could have caused it to slow down, along with other dvdshrink users with other configs?

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Wow, the burning time is a real problem. Burning at 4x shouldn't take more than 20 min. This has nothing to do with shrink. Though you say your burner is set on DMA, you may need to unistall and reinstall the driver.

6. oquela

oquela Member

I haven't tried this yet because I thought that the drivers were built-into Win98SE. When I swapped out the old cd-r and put this in, it automatically installed drivers and recognized the dvd-r. I never actually installed any drivers for the dvd-r.

What's the process to uninstall and re-install these drivers? Do I just uninstall them, and restart the system (in other words, will Win98se see it as a brand new drive again?) I know XP does this automatically, but will 98 do the same?

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Yes. You also want to make sure the drive is set to DMA.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  8. PBabble

PBabble Guest

Have you tried bringing up task manager to see what processes are running? If there's a programme using too much of your CPU, close it and see what happens next.
    Programmes like DVD Shrink and Burning programmes tend to use up a lot of CPU and I notice if I run games that use a lot of CPU power, it'll slow down the encoding or even stop it.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

oquela

I agree with wolfniggr that it sounds like a DMA issue but I am curious how much free space is left on your HDD and how large is the initial size of it? Thanks

10. oquela

oquela Member

ScubaBud,
    The initial size is 30G, and there's usually about 14G left over after I've shrunk a movie.( I only do one at a time on this machine, then dump it off the HD when it's been backed up)

PBabble,
    Is there a built in Task Manager to see apps that are running in 98se, and performance of CPU, or do I have to download one?

wolfnggr,
    I'm not at that computer right now, but when I get to it, I'll check the DMA on HD. I'll get back to you.

Thanks all,
    oquela

BTW: I'm still wondering why dvdshrink has slowed down on MANY computers (after working fine), not just mine. In other words, could a virus POSSIBLY be written to look for dvdshrink and switch dma settings??

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

oquela

Below is what I wrote in another thread. I hope that this helps a bit more.

Almost always when there is a time issue with slower burns, it relates to a change from DMA mode to PIO mode. Windows OS does that automatically after an average of 6 errors on the IDE channel with the errors. These errors can be caused by Hardware but most of the time they are disk related, CRC errors. In either case, when encountered, Windows OS sees this as a possible speed issue, and slowly turns down the speed by lowering the DMA settings, and if still not corrected, finally places your device(s) on that IDE channel in PIO mode.

By uninstalling, under Device Manager, your Secondary Controller which normally has your burner and DVD-ROM drives on it and then re-booting/restarting your PC will allow Windows to reset them back to their proper settings of DMA mode.

12. oquela

oquela Member

ScubaBud,
    As my 4 year old would say, "sanks!" (he can't pronounce the "th" yet)

I'll do this, and get back w/results.

PBabble:
    DMA on HD is checked. Could this have been corrupted somehow?

PS: should a dvd burner ever be on the same IDE channel as the HD?

Does the HD have to be "re-installed"

13. PBabble

PBabble Guest

D'oh, sorry I forgot you're using Win 98 SE, I'm too used to XP, and I'm thinking everyone these days has XP. Whoops!

14. havingfun

havingfun Member

At least for my situation, it is not DMA issue. I have checked and reinstalled multiple times without success both Secondary and Primary IDE device drivers. It is little odd that all of sudden many of us are having same issues. I am begining to think it might be some type of virus. My other computer with almost identical spec is working fine with DVD Shrink.

15. lobstah48

lobstah48 Guest

Where is the DMA setting in XP professional?...am I missing something?

16. wolves

wolves Regular member

thanks scuba ....your info worked 100% for me.

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

wolves

Thanks for letting us know. :)

18. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

lobstah48,
    You asked" Where is the DMA setting in XP professional?...am I missing something?"

Go to Device manager> Hardware>IDE/ATA Controllers>Secondary IDE Channel> right click on it>click on properities>advanced setting> Look at the Transfer Mode

Hope this helps

19. oquela

oquela Member

havingfun,
    I thought I was the only one who thought this. it is more than a little weird that people on all kinds of forums (not just AD) are reporting this same issue. In my case, it isn't DMA either, because I checked drives and HD (or maybe it corrupts this setting??????) and have re-installed the drivers, etc. No joy. Just slow as heck. I don't want to resort to it, but I may have to reinstall win98se on this thing, as much as the thought bothers me.

20. wolves

wolves Regular member

just one of many problems when your in the fast lane oquela.The more we seem to know,the less we know.