1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink has slowed down ??

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mkm, Mar 16, 2004.

1. mkm

mkm Member

I have been using DVD Shrink 3.1.3 for a while. It was taking me approx 7 - 12 min to rip. Now it takes 20 -25 mins. I havn't changed any hardware. My system is a P4 2.4 GH, 1 Gig ram, 200GB HD

Should I switch to the newest version?

Mark

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mkm,

I don't have a clue as to what made it slow down but you DO want to trade up to 3.1.7 -

I don't know if you are aware but the new DVD Shrink uses Decrypter to burn with - too bad us "Old" timers had to buy Nero - DVD Shrink now uses a free burner, Backups from beginning to end for FREE (It's also faster rip-wise and I think, encoding-wise - at least it seems so - Load'em up, see for yourself :D)

and Welcome to the Club,

Pete

3. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The rip time will vary substantially with the size of the original DVD. Major League 2 ripped in 6 minutes for the full backup but it only had 4 gigs on the DVD.
    The Mash season3 disc 1 took 28 minutes on the same machine full backup but it showed 10+ gigs on the disc.
    If your 25 minutes was a loaded disc on a full backup then its about right for a P4 2.4g.

4. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I also believe past 3.13 the encoding improved quite a bit on shrink.

5. mkm

mkm Member

Pete,

Yes I did buy Nero, but can't really complain. It has alot of other features I hope to figure out. Cd, etc. I need to get a manual, I bought serial number from Nero on line. That, and I need more time like everybody else to figure out how to get from VHS to DVD as easy as DVD to DVD.

Thanks

Mark

6. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Hi mkm,
    The manuals are on line and should automatically D/L into your Nero StartSmart Suite when you update.

7. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Nero is a good all purpose program. I have it on all my computers and still use it for burning copies of copies and burning from IFO files.

I always use Shrink for backup of original DVDs burning and all. It is easier.

8. mkm

mkm Member

I just installed DVD Shrink 3.1.7 and backed up "OLD YELLER. It took 32 min. Thats not that long, but like I said before it used to take approx 7-12 min. Maybe there are some programs I have loaded that now slow me down. Kazaa, etc.

How do you use shrink to burn now?

Mark

9. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

mkm,
    There are 2 ways.
    1. Use DVDDecrypter to write to HD in .iso>DVDShrink to compress .iso image >DVDDecrypter to burn image.
    2. Use DVDShrink to decrypt>compress>click box under backup that says to use NERO to burn.

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

7-10 minutes would only happen if the disc was small enough not to use compression.
    How much was the compression on the movie when you recorded old yeller.

11. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

12. Ni4ni

Ni4ni Member

Do this:
    Go to
    1. My Computer
    2. Control Panel
    3. System
    4. Hardware
    5. Device Manager
    6. IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    7. Open the installed IDE channels (Primary and Secondary)
    8. Click on Advanced settings
    9. You will see the transfer mode. If any are PIO you need to un-install the channel (right click and choose uninstall) and re-boot. Windows will reinstall the device and return it to DMA mode.
    10. Be careful when using this procedure because if you have an older hard drive or storage device that does not support DMA you could corrupt your data.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

© Ni4ni

13. mkm

mkm Member

I don't compress anything most of the time. I backup only the movie and if it goes over 1 disk I "START-Finish" , cut in half and burn to 2 disc's.

I don't mind changing out disk's. (Makes for a good relief break) I buy good quality disc's on sale in either the 100 or 50 pack and they cost about a buck apiece. This way will probably still be cheaper for a while after they come out with dual layer burners and disc's.

My systen is a couple of months old, it came as a Dell 2.4 GH, 512 ram, 40GB HD. I added a 200 Seagate HD and made it the primary drive. I also added 512 ram and an ATI all in wonder VE card.

Mark

14. 64026402

64026402 Active member

If backing up just the movie then 25min is slow. Make sure about the DMA mode as suggested previously. Make sure your not using deep analysis. Make sure about the movie size. I have had a few just movies that were nearly 7 gigs. How long did it take to burn the DVD.
    If the pio mode is enguaged it will take a long time to burn also. Maybe an hour.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald[/small]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2004
  15. mkm

mkm Member

My burn times have not changed. They are about 17-23 min. using Nero6

16. 64026402

64026402 Active member

If the burn times are normal then DMA is not a problem.
    What is the movie size on the last movie recorded.
    Is deep analysis checked (will slow the process).
    How long does nero take to record the copy to image?

Are you set to auto record with nero. I had some rip time problems when nero was checked. I now check burn with DVDdecrypter on the newest shrink. It fixed the problem and is free.
    Uncheck burn with nero in preferences then shrink the original DVD to file to recheck rip time.

17. mkm

mkm Member

I checked my DMA setting and it was correct, so that does not seem to be the problem. Rip time went from 10 to 20 mins, but burn time has remained the same. I bought Nero6, so the burning is not a problem. I dont use deep analysis on purpose, so I will check its default settings.

Can I turn off all "auto burn" features and speed up my rip time, and then do the Nero burn manually?

Mark

18. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi mkm,

I don't think that disabling the autoburn option will effect the ripping time at all.
    By the way, your ripping times seem pretty normal to me, mine actually are much longer.... so I wouldn't worry too much. Have fun!

19. mkm

mkm Member

I'm not really complaining, It's just that they used to be only around 8-12 min.

Thanks,

Mark

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi mkm,

I see you mentioned your PC is a couple of months old - If you have done a bunch of installations getting system up to speed you might want to run a registry cleaner to put things in order. I use System Mechanic 4.0 and it makes a noticeable difference. Reading the posts, your system's times seem pretty good, I would go so far as to say they are almost even with mine - I'll chalk the difference up to the fact that my PC is about 1-1/2 years old :-(

(Time to buy some more "stuff" for my "toy" - ya can never have too much "stuff" :D)

Pete