1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Help

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dsharpe, Feb 3, 2004.

1. dsharpe

dsharpe Member

Okay, for my first go I managed to back-up to my hard drive - not bad! This is how dumb I am - how do I now get it onto a DVD-R disc! I have a burner and dvd shrink - i also have DVD burning software - but utilising them all together has got me stuffed! I know this is extremely trivial - but hey this is the newbie forum!

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi dsharpe,
    Trivial questions are just fine!
    Tell me what version of Shrink you have and the name of your burning program(s).

The basic procedure is to open your burning program, locate the folder Shrink made and then burn.

Tell me about your computer, OS, what kind of blank media you have (brand?, -R right?) What burner do you have? Tell me how you used Shrink to get the movie on your hard drive.

Frank

3. devil60

devil60 Guest

as for the DVD Shrink-DVD Decrypter and Nero StartSmart it is a big joke you can put them in the Junk yard as for what good thy are I Have them and OUT THEY GO
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Signs of a Loser

a.. You have a wife and a cigarette holder - neither one works.
    b.. If it rained soup you would have a fork instead of a spoon
    c.. You had bad luck with two Wife's or husbands, the first one left you,
    and the second one won'[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2004
  4. dsharpe

dsharpe Member

Okay,

Burner is a Pioneer 106 OEM
    Computer spec are about 1.3ghz, 256 Ram (i think) (90 gig capacity)
    Shrink 3.1.4

The software for burning was loaded by the guys who added the new hardware - i think it is ulead movie factory and also nero (i think) but i thought that my nero was only to create the sticker-labels for DVD's sorry!!

Media is Imation DVD-R. The thing with that as well, although it is labelled 4.7GB, my pioneer burner only reads it as 1.99GB (I am sorting this out with Imation).

Okay - so i followed the steps and backed up shawshank redemption (using the back-up feature)(about 55% compression - i am not too concerned about picture quality at this stage) - just practice. i created the video and audio subfolders - and they are sitting on my hard drive at the moment! it all went as it was supposed to - i just can't find a guide to get it from the HD to the DVD-R.

SO - thats where i am at! i have read through some of the forum and people discuss ISO and VOM etc should i be acquainting myslef with these??

5. dsharpe

dsharpe Member

OH yeah and my OS is Win 98!

6. devil60

devil60 Guest

dsharpe

==OH yeah and my OS is Win 98==

You have had it you need to get windows 2000 XP I had to I also stard out with 98

7. devil60

devil60 Guest

Dsharpe

As for the, backing-up of your hard drive if that is all you what to do, I say go and get = go back or drive copy= it will save you a lot of OOOOOO---S---T and of you can \ put in 2 Hard drivs. I do the E (80GB)is for the Software only and the D (120GB)drive I put all that I what to keep

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Signs of a Loser

a.. You have a wife and a cigarette holder - neither one works.
    b.. If it rained soup you would have a fork instead of a spoon
    c.. You had bad luck with two Wife's or husbands, the first one left you,
    and the second one won'[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2004
  8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

WARNING !

devil60,
    I don't know what your problem is but I would suggest you leave it at home and not in this forum. You are not helping anyone and that's what we do here. If you have something constructive to contribute, you're welcome to do so, wise cracks and put-downs are NOT what we are about !!

Pete

9. dsharpe

dsharpe Member

thank you Pete! my sentiments exactly - however i was letting my silence illustrate the same point! :) still waiting for fasfrank to reply (that is supposed to come across in a nice way) - however I am i OZ so it must be midnightish in the US eh?

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi dsharpe, Frank might have taken a midnight ride on his bike. Check to see what version of Nero you have or see if you have Nero Express listed under it from the Start-Program listing. If Express is there and its version 5.5 or 6 it will work with DVDshrink. Open Express, then click the dvd video selection. On the left side should be 2 Folders Nero makes AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. ON the right is the add button. Click that and browse to the location of the saved Shrink files. Then select them and add or drag them INTO the VIDEO_TS folder. The AUDIO folder stays empty. Then click burn.
    Try that and get back to us.
    Jerry

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  11. dsharpe

dsharpe Member

Thanks Jerry,

Will try that when i get home after work!

like everyone - i always want it to work first time every time! damn this patience thing :)

will get back to you tomorrow to let you know how it all went!

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Naw im here just having a few glitches

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Frank, thought you were letting that cold air blow throught your hair. I was about to hit the sack. Another fun day at work tomorrow. I'll catch you and Pete tomorrow.
    Jerry

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Jerry, Do you think that auto-burn feature will work with Win98?
    Also I think Nero has some sort of ASPI dload for 98. I'll go look.

I keep getting this burstbeacon problem, URL shows up at the bottom of the screen and I have to go delete cookies to make it go away. Locks up my cursor and of course when I come back after deleting, my wonderful reply is gone.
    Frank

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dsharpe,

I'm sorry, but it seems that you got the short straw - this forum doesn't tolerate that type of behavior.

Now then, you are not in bad shape at all - you could use a little more RAM but I wouldn’t concern myself with that now if I were you - you’ll just run a little slow that’s all.

I believe you when you say that your Nero is probably only for sticker making otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation. The reason, the version of DVDShrink that you’re using bonds with Nero (the burning one) kind of behind the scenes and automatically burns your DVD for you.

What I’m going to do is map you out a step-by-step guide for Shrink. The Shrink Guide I’ve linked you to is most excellent, written by one of the forums most knowledgeable members and will help in the future :)

I’ve also linked you to 30 days of Nero because of that “automatic Burn” thingie I mentioned. There is also a link to a Nero guide, you won’t need that for future backups because remember, Shrink will do that for you (pretty cool beans, Huh?). I’ve also enclosed a step-by-step guide for Nero so you can handle the files you said were on your HD. The link to the Nero Guide is for later if you want to experiment. We have other burning programs, some for free, but, because of your unpleasant experience, I’d like to tip the scales the other way to show that we like to think of ourselves as the “Good Guys”. You’ve already met “Fast Frankie” he’s a friend and a super nice guy to boot -

While I think about it - you’ll want to keep DVD Decrypter, it can decrypt some DVD’s that DVDShrink has trouble with. Don’t get into the habit of using them both together, just when Shrink has a little trouble -

For those files now on your HD -
    How to burn using Nero 6.0.
    Step by Step –
    Do not use Nero Wizard.
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on the DVD Video Icon. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one Shrink made in the beginning, holding your work and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “OK” and now ? “Burn you sweet thing,

Guess what my Friend ??

Go watch some TV, call your mother (It’s been awhile since she’s heard from you, don’t ya know?) You are done !!!
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Ms. Computer. Never mess with the lady when she’s working – it would be a health thing, you understand -
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done she will let you know ;-))

Enjoy,

Now for your next backup using just DVDShrink by itself -
    Using DVDShrink ver. 3.1.4 nbeta0

Before I start, I create a folder with my movie’s name somewhere on my HD where I can find it later (i.e. C:/ DVD Work/Pirates of the Caribbean).

When using DVDShrink, after inserting your DVD, open Shrink, click “Open Disk”. Then, “Select DVD Drive” and click “OK”. After Shrink has opened your disc, anywhere from 30 seconds to 1-½ minutes you’ll see the size of the disc at the bar at the top of the page. If you have a Green bar with a little Gray at the top of the page, go to the next paragraph:) If you see some “Red”, simply check off those files you don’t want, I.E. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Yak Basin language, or extra audio files – I keep ACS 2ch or ACS 5.1, that will give you stereo, most of the rest you can trash. Only do that if you need to lose some stuff to make it fit. You can also gain more room by clicking “Custom Ratio” and increasing the compression.
    Personally, I compress until I see about 1/8 of an inch of Gray at the end of my Green bar - that way I’m not writing to the very edge of my DVD disc. - Remember, more compression, a tiny bit less on the picture quality – when I say “less quality” I’m speaking of theoretically less, nothing you can really see with the naked eye for the most part.

With that being done, let’s make sure that the box which says “Full Disk” is depressed (No need to cheer it up, it likes being depressed :). When you are ready to go, - -> click “Backup”. When the Backup box opens, under “Target Device” make sure your DVD Burner is listed in the window. Under “Target folder”, make sure the folder you made at the beginning with the movie’s name is there (that way you can always go back and burn another copy in the future). Now click “OK”.
    Last step: “STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER !” Clear your throat and yell, “Burn Baby you Baby, Burn ! ” “Let me hear you say it, Who’s your Daddy Now ???” Do not fold, spindle, mutilate, molest nor fondle the keyboard. “GO AWAY !” Ms. Computer will let you know when she is finished, to approach her before then may be a hazardous to your health -

Really, let it alone - your backup will be ready shortly, honest :)
    Hope you enjoy it -

DVDShrink Guide -
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink_3.htm

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

A Great Nero, step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

Oh yea, By the way, Welcome to the Club :)

Pete

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(See that these guys have been gabbing while I spent the last 2 hours typing - Go Figure, Huh)
    Good night all -

"P"

18. krunchy

krunchy Member

help
    Had a version DVD SHRINK that worked fine (pre-Nero-burning), then I went and downloaded an update. Now when the program gets ready to actually decrypt/compress, it says I/O error and can't do it!
    What gives?

19. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Frank, On the Auto burn with Win 98. I know it works with Win ME which isn't that much different from 98. I think it should work. I diabled mine for now. I was getting the long rip time problem caused by the Nero conflict with the New Shrink. I also have to flash my burner firmware one of these days to increase the rip speed to max. Turns out my Memorex drive is actually a Pioneer 106d. I have to flash it to TRUE Pioneer and then upgrade to the firmware fix for rip speed. Haven't had time to play with it yet.
    Jerry

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Jerry,

If you check the spec. sheet on DVDShrink 3.1.4, you'll see that Windows 98 is an approved OS. I can't see why it wouldn’t work in the following setup -

Delete Shrink and Nero, reboot - install Nero first, reboot, install Shrink, and reboot - that should be the ticket (make sure there is no Roxio.)

Remember that Nero tends to be "flaky every once in a while and needs a slight adjustment (reinstallation)

Krunchy,

Hi there Good Guy,

I would suggest you clean that DVD well. A little alcohol (a few drops) and a soft cotton cloth and rub that puppy firmly, repeat until that bad boy looks like a mirror then try the following -

1. Try to open your DVD with DVD Decrypter first (in the File mode). Then when you open Shrink, click "open File" instead of "open disc".

Should that not help-

2. Start your DVD playing with Power DVD then open Shrink.

Failing those, try the uninstall / reinstall that I left for Jerry -

and Welcome to the club :)

Pete

Hey Guys,
    Did I mention how scary it is having all 3 of us on the same page ? I still can't believe that so much posting was going on while I was busy typing last night - guess I better learn to type faster ? Ya think that was the message ?

Probably see ya tonight, "P"