1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink help...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ra0ulduke, Mar 10, 2007.

1. ra0ulduke

ra0ulduke Member

I have a rather technical question for one of my back ups...

I'm attempting to back up on a DVD-5 (DVD+R) Once upon a time in the west - When I do a re-author movie only compression comes out to 59.1 %, when it's w/menu & dvd it comes out to 57.9%

I've been reading up on other methods instead of just burning the movie with a compression of 59.1%... some of the methods I've found that might work are shrinking it twice, or eliminating the credits, or making it a two disc DVD-5 complete w/menu back up.

My question - Can anyone help please let me know what my best option is?? - And it doesnt have to be one that I've mentioned above as I'm inexperienced since all of my previous backups have fit on one disc w/good compression %

Thank you in advance for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

2. onya

onya Guest

When use choose the re-author, do you drag the main movie file over to the pane on the left hand side?

Cheers.

3. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Shrinking it twice is not needed if it will work in one pass.
    It is a long movie. I did it with eliminating the credits and menus.
    It came out good. Its an old movie.
    Try it with a RW disc and judge yourself.

I plan on using RB +CCE from now on with high compression movies.

Edit
    Cant type

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  4. orion250

orion250 Regular member

If you compress the movie file itself, you lose video quality. The more you compress it, the worse the quality. I have found that using a program called DVDdecrypter (it's free online) to decrypt the original movie, menus and other stuff on the original dvd, then using any burning program like Sonic or Nero works very well. You can select DVDdecrypter to eliminate the Macrovision protection during the read and decryption process. DVD Shrink works quite well with the episodic tv season collections. If you want to use DVD Shrink, select "FULL DISC" and compress all menus, trailors, and everything else BUT the actual movie file itself, as far down as you can. That way you don't have to shrink the movie file as much. Hope this helps!

5. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

best thing put it on 2 discs-
    thats what iam doing lately
    if its more than 7.5gb
    split into two discs
    u will 100% but in two discs

6. 56delray

56delray Regular member

If you use CCE you only need to use one disc.