1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink is too slow in Encoding...Why? Any Sugestion?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Xyric, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Xyric

Xyric Member

Thank to all th people out thre who reply to my help... thanks guys... you know who you are...
    any way i've got another question to ask any body is willing to help me..?
    may problem or actualy not a problem, why dvd shrink is slow in encoding the video? it is normal to encode aroung 2 to 3hrs/45 minutes? any ather way to lessen the time? i used deep analysis that took me around 45 minute in analysing then anothere 2hrs-3hrs.45mins. in encoding plus 45minute to 1 hrs in burning... im backing up a dvd9 to dvd5... my system is centrino 1.4 256memory..
    pls tell me what to do to lessen the time for backing up a dvd9... i will appriciate any help...
    thanks in advance.......

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Check the IDE channels in device manager. Be sure that data is transfered using DMA not PIO. Check the primary and secondary channels.
    Have a look at this thread:http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/76265

3. michigan

michigan Guest

Also were you using the "Quality Enhancement" settings? Those take a lot of time.

4. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

and another thing to check.... when was your last defrag? backing up videos can really frag the hard drive slowing down system performance. It might be overkill but I defrag every 5 backups performed.

5. michigan

michigan Guest

Oh I just love a system(every 5 backups) I do it every once and a while when I remember and sometimes I notice a difference sometimes not.

6. a007dan

a007dan Member

I checked out the link w/ the making sure you are using DMA & not PIO channels, DMA is set up on all.

However, I still have problems w/ DVD shrink. 'Entrapment' takes normal time (15 - 20 min) to back up, other movies take that normal time as well. Certain movies (e.g. Meet the Parents, Family Guy, few others), take up to 90 min to back up.

I have defragged both of my hard drives as well. This problem only occurs with certain movies. They are not scratched & are in the same/better condition as the normal burning movies.

Celeron 600 mhz
    14 gig hd (6 gig on drive burning from)
    192 ram

quality of movies is fine, just takes quite awhile for about 25 % of my backups

thanks,
    Dan

7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

a007dan, the more compression applied, the longer it will take.
    So my guess would be the "90 minutes" backups required more compression than the faster ones.
    Considering your processor speed, these times seem normal. ;)