1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink kicks DVDRB's ass ????

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by chumpa, Jan 12, 2005.

1. chumpa

chumpa Member

I don't get it. I mainly use shrink for compression < 70% and Rebuilder for anything needing more then 70% compression. I have the newest rebuilder, 6.9 with CCE sp 2.67. The reason I backup this way is that there is no shortage of people on this site swearing up and down, including JDOBS - DVDRB developer, that there is nothing that even comes close to DVDRB with CCE for quality when compressing a dvd-9 to dvd-5 disc. I recently read that many people have found dvd shrink to be better quality on backing up LOTR - The Return of the King. This is the biggest DVD that I have attempted to back up so far. So I decided to try it myself. I backed up with shrink with deep analysis and high quality settings and I backed it up with DVDRB with CCE and 4 passes. The result surprised me and pissed me off at the same time. The dvd shrink version was noticeably better without any zooming. The DVDRB version had a noticeable graininess to it. Especially in the scene where Gandolf first arrives at the big white castle(Castle of Kings? whatever the name is). There is a lot of fine detail on the screen at this point and the fine little black grainy dots that DVDRB produces are obvious and unacceptable. There is even a strobing effect it produced on some of the fine lines on the screen. I read a few posts where some of the senior members were also looking into this but I have not seen any results yet. So, the big question is, why would anyone use DVDRB when a freeware piece of software produces better quality at much faster speeds? Does anyone have any similar experiences? Do any of the members who always say DVDRB is "the best by far" have any comments? I just want to make sure that before I stop using DVDRB that I am not missing something. I don't have time to do side by side comparisons of every movie I backup, so I'll have to assume that if DVD shrink is better then DVDRB at 53% compression on LOTR-ROTK then it will be better when less compression is needed as well, which should be just about any other movie I could possibly want to backup. The Shrink version was not only better then DVDRB it was just plain good. No graininess, smooth picture, sharp detail, no pixilation. I could not tell the difference from the original at normal viewing.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

ROTK is a special (but not unique) case where it's arguably better to use Shrink rather than re-encode. The reason is actually that the original encode for the DVD doesn't use a high enough bitrate to begin with so there are encoding artifacts present on the original. Shrink has an advantage because it will likely see these artifacts as detail to be removed, while an encoder like CCE sees everything as detail to be kept (meaning other details that are supposed to be there will suffer). For movies like this it's very likely that Shrink can give you the same or higher quality. I personally split mine across 2 discs because I thought the quality would suffer too much, but then again I don't ever use anything but CCE to compress with.

3. chumpa

chumpa Member

So, if I understand you correctly, the movie was so big they basically had to compress it to fit on the normal store bought dvd-9. So having the lower quality/bitrate to begin with causes DVDRB to perform with poorer quality. So, I should not be worried about the numerous other movies I have backed up using DVDRB that they might also have this grainy effect?

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Do you have other movies that are 3 1/2 hours long and full of compression artifacts in the original?