1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink last file unable to do anything with

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by livesay, May 5, 2007.

1. livesay

livesay Member

i've been trying to copy LOTR with dvd shrink which seems like a great program. i'm using it other than others because i can take off the commentary and compress it to fit on my player easier. however since i can't easily scroll through the movie on my player i want to be able to split the movie into chunks. dvd shrink does this with 1 GB pieces, but the last piece (regardless of size) never works. it does contain the end of the movie and i can't see anything different about it, but i can't open it or get it on my sansa e280. i use the standard sansa media converter to put .vob into .mov on the player.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I would try DVD Rebuilder for a movie that will require high compression levels such as LOTR...you can remove audio and subs the same as DVD Shrink but the output will be unmatched in terms of quality. There should also be no need to split files, but if you still had the need you can always import the output files from DVD-RB into DVD Shrink.

3. livesay

livesay Member

well see, it's not DVD Shrink itself that's causing me problems, if i want one file with the whole movie it's np and the quality is fine for my little player. But, like i said, i want to split it up so i can search through the movie somewhat. if DVD Rebuilder doesn't split files it would be the same thing.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If you're wanting to navigate the movie, you only need to record the movie + menu if the quality is otherwise okay. You have the option of using Still Image to edit with in Full Disc in Shrink or you can go to Softpedia and download RipIt4Me and it will rip movie + menu with no editing necessary.

LOCOENG suggested Rebuilder because it has better quality video output at higher compression. That makes is easier to keep the menus that have the navigation features you appear to want. I don't know if you want to try the program or not, but he made a good point. There's a free version of RB with the free HC encoder.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  5. livesay

livesay Member

well now i feel bad. i was unaware the possibility of putting the menu on to be able to navigate the movie. i'll check into the program, if i can get the menu on my sansa and be able to use it that would be awesome.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

No need to feel bad. The forum is here to aid in the learning process. None of us knew how things worked until we learned and if others are like me, they've still got some learning to do as well. Good luck and if you decide to try the Rebuilder, there is a forum section devoted to it just like Shrink. Decryption software is covered in the Ripping section. If you want to learn how to edit in Full Disc with Shrink, we can help you here in the Shrink section if you can't find a thread where it's already described or a guide. However, I follow LOCOENG's suggestion of using RB with the large blockbuster sized movies.