1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Limit on Compression of Video Files?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bomberbil, Sep 30, 2004.

1. bomberbil

bomberbil Member

I have been transferring my home videos onto DVD using TMPGENC DVD author to create a Video File suitable for burning (Video TS and Audio TS). These have been too large for a DVD so I use DVD shrink to shrink them to an appropriate size. The problem I have is I have a 5.5 GB file and DVD shrink will not me compress it enough to fit a DVD. I set the custom ratio and it will not go below 76.1% no matter what I do. Anyone help.

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Re-Shrink.

Shrink the first time to a Hard Disk Folder, ingoring the error message that it will not fit on a disc. Then use Open Files to select those previously shrunk files and Shrink again.

3. bomberbil

bomberbil Member

Thanks Veblin. Do you know if this is normal, i.e is there a restriction on compression ratio.

4. Veblin

Veblin Active member

It happens some times. There is a limit to how much Shrink can compress in any one operation. That depends on how large the original is and such things as how much the video changes. Example, a video where the camera moves is harder to compress because there is a larger change to every frame, than if the camera is still and just the subjects move. I guess your home videos would probably have a lot of camera movement and maybe a lot of zooming in and out.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004