1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink - movie and menu

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by montrolla, Nov 12, 2004.

1. montrolla

montrolla Member

how can i just backup the movie and menu with dvd shrink. i'm using dvd x copy platinum, but i wanna change to dvd shrink. the only problem is the above. also, at what percent on dvd shrink the movie start loosing quality? thx.

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

Have you read the guides on shrink? I use dvd decrypter then dvd shrink with nero 6 to burn. with shrink after analysis just use the re-author mode. select the title under main movie, you can even remove foreign languages from the audio.I always try to use as little compression as possible.Check out the guides linked to shrink and decrypter they are very helpful.This software takes a little more work but I have had much better success than with xcopy.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Better sucess in that it's faster but with DVD Shrink the quality blows XCopy away -

Pete

4. wild77

wild77 Guest

Even better it's free!I only wish I knew about Shrink before I bought xcopy, but thanks to all the problems with it I found this site and all the great guides.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

montrolla,

To answer your questions -
    No, you can't keep your menus when doing movie only with DVD Shrink - Nero has a proggy called recode 2 which operates almost exactly like DVD Shrink but keeps a working menu. It's the best we have to offer at this time.

FYI, When using DVD Shrink's Deep anaylsis and Quality enhancements, the quality rivels that of XCopy's Movie only. A little less quality, but not by much - and you have the whole movie -

We offer it as an option, If you're happy with XCopy, great BUT you do have options -

Cheers,

Pete

6. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

If you use CloneDVD 2 you can copy just the movie AND keep the menus. I have used DVD Shrink/Decrypter/Nero 6. CloneDVD 2 is the ONLY program that does EVERYTHING I want to do and the quality is the same PLUS it's two to three times as fast!

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey kyrainman, welcome to aD,

Well goodness me - it's clear that you may have the programs but haven't used them if you are going to make such a statement -

I suggest that you use the proggys, THEN make a statement -

Recode2 can edit much better than CloneDVD2 PLUS as an encoder and burner it's the same speed as CloneDVD2, maybe a hair faster AND it can be used to join "Flippers" put 2, 3 or more DVD's on a single DVD, Ooohh so many more things. BTW, when you speak of quality, you cannot speak of speed too. It takes time to properly encode a DVD. Recode2 can go over it's encoding 2X giving it superior quality than CloneDVD2, CloneDVD2 can't even provide you with that option.

The thought of comparing CloneDVD2 to recode 2 is soooo far out in the field as to suggest calling it the "South Forty", Lol.
    If you want to see FAST, then use InterVideo's DVDCopy 2 and CopyToDVD, for unparalleled speed.

Feel free to come on back and compare proggys -

Cheers,

Pete

8. Davas03

Davas03 Member

So, overall DVD Shrink is the way to go???? I am backing up a DVD with it as we speak(or shall I say type)....Im new at this, does it normally take about an hour and a half? Or did I do it the long way?

Thanks!

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Davas03,

If you're doing the quality settings, Yes - maybe 2 hours BUT the quality is great.

If the compression is less than 90-93% then un-tick the quality stuff and you'll be done in 45 minutes or less if you have a PC like mine -

Pete

10. montrolla

montrolla Member

talking about compression, what would be the maximun compression before i really start loosing quality?

11. regor

regor Regular member

That is subjective, montrolla. What one person considers qaulity another person may consider "less than quality" - notice how I was so eloquent? I could have said 'crap' :)

Rule of thumb I use is this... You're using Shrink, right? You either want the whole movie or you don't. If you want the whole movie, back it up - but consider video quality degradation may be the compromise. If you don't care about the extras, won't ever watch them anyway, re-author - get rid of the extras.

My .02

R

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Another 2 cents,

Whenever you have to compress with DVD Shrink, the options for using the Quality features become active - it couldn't hurt to use them - iffin ya have the time -

Cheers,

13. montrolla

montrolla Member

is anyone using the other quality parameters on dvd-shrink? like the one for sharp, smooth, etc?

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

montrolla,

Me, me, I am, pick me, over here - - me - -

(waving hand in the air . . .)

YES ! ! I use the Quality enhancements, all the time.

Yep, I sure do . . . . I like most of them . . . .

(Heh, heh I just LOVE havin' fun . . . .

For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Maximum Smoothness BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Maximum Sharpness setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :)

In general, I leave it on "Maximum Smoothness" - it takes the longest time on that setting, average, about 2 Hours but, if you have nthing else to do while you sleep, why not let it there ?

When do I use it ? I use it on every movie that requires compression. A DVD requiring only a little compression doesn't take all that long - I don't sweat it, my end results are super - If you are going to do something, hy not do it correctly ?

Cheers all,

Pete

15. montrolla

montrolla Member

sweet
    but what's the difference, i mean what do you notice or see when using maximum smoothness and maximun sharpness?

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry, I cannot type well enough to explain it to you -

You do a DVD, 1 disc sharp, the other smooth - then you can describe it to me in detail -

Pete

17. montrolla

montrolla Member

i'll do that. lol

18. regor

regor Regular member

You are a funny guy, ScubaPete!

Carpe Humour - Sieze the Humor

:)