1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink not Shrinking files enough

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Dnola3, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Dnola3

Dnola3 Member

I've been using DVD Shrink for awhile. I'm trying to backup some anime dvds, and several of them when put into dvd shrink will not compress to small enough to fit on a dvd5, not only that, but they will not allow me thew option of downsixing the size of the dvd any further. Now here I have 2 Anime dvd's I'm trying to back up:

Gundam Seed TV Series disc 1:
    Original ISO file size before importing into DVDshrink is 8,215,462 kb
    After importing into Dvdshrink, It compresses it down to 4464 mb, meaning the whole bar at the top is green. perfect! (average compression ratio of about 55%)

Trigun Tv Series Disc 1:
    Original ISO file size before importing into DVDshrink is 7,571,694 kb
    After importing into Dvdshrink, It will only compress it down to 5,233 mb, and it won't let me compress it any further! Now this is only a compression ratio of 67%, why will one compress, and one will not?

I need some help!, Thanks.

2. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Two options to try:
    1) Have shrink save the video files (5,233 mb ISO image) to a loaction on your hard drive, then have shrink open the ISO image (goto: file-->open disk image) and process it thru shrink a second time.

Note: You can also have shrink save the video files on your hard drive using the "hard disk folder" option when backing up, then use the open files option to import them and process them again. This process will create a VIDEO_TS folder containing .vob, .ifo, and .bup files that shrink will import and process.

2) Try ripping to your hard drive using DVDFab decrypter (free), once complete use shrink to open/import the files for processing. This process will create a VIDEO_TS folder containing .vob, .ifo, and .bup files that shrink will import and process.

DVDFab
    http://www.dvdfab.com/DVDFabDecrypter3075Beta.exe

3. vanhager

vanhager Member

I just tried the double shrink with my Toronto Rocks concert and the quality was crap when it was done........

4. Dnola3

Dnola3 Member

Yeah, thanks for the input, None of that will solve my problem though I can't put them through shrink twice, the quality goes to shit, I've done it before... I'm just wondering why it will compress gundam at a 55% ratio, but it will only compress trigun @ a 67% ratio, I guess I'll just use dvd rebuilder and cce to compress it. It will take about 3 times longer per disc, but it will work, and quality will be much better than with shrink.

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Yes, anything under 70% of quality ratio, I'll simply fire up my DVD-RB Pro + CCE SP 2.70 via 3 PASSES VBR and my final backup's quality is awesome.

Another alternative route is to have VobBlanker to strip, blank or delete all/any unwanted stuff/junks and you'll be able to save some spaces, thus your backup will gain more quality as well.

Here are some great guides if you're interested http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/A_F_Guides.html

Best of luck and enjoy them guides!!