1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink not shrinking

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by davrave, Apr 12, 2005.

1. davrave

davrave Guest

Using latest version of program. Insert disc, apply automatic compression, it says that the size of the disc is default 4.464gig but after copying the disc to the hard drive, the size of the file is always bigger than 4.464gig. Even after applying custom shrink and making the file smaller than 4.464, it will still create the back up file bigger than 4.7gig.
    Anyone experienced this problem? Have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it, but still the same problem with this particular disc called "The Door In The Floor"

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

try reauthor mode and drag just the movie over to the left, miss out any audio etc you don't want. Also it's best to alter the target size in Shrink from Custom to 4300mb. This will enable movies to fit on disc without using very outer edge of disc, where the dye may be uneven.

3. davrave

davrave Guest

Thanks. Have already tried custom mode down to 3.800meg. Does not help.Have just tried shrinking a different movie and it works perfectly.
    It seems to be just this particular movie that is giving the problem. Even using dvd decrypter first and then trying to transfer the movie into dvd shrink it still won't work.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  5. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Be sure to read in that recommended guide above about removing audio.
    Are you removing audio such as DTS and other languages to get it as small as possible.
    Have you tried reauthoring to copy the movie only?

Are you using Deep Analysis?
    From the DVD Shrink help file.

[bold]Deep Analysis[/bold]

The deep analysis option will encode your DVD in two passes. This will take significantly longer, but it serves two purposes:

1. It will improve video quality by allowing DVD Shrink to better distribute the required compression throughout the various scenes in your DVD.

2. [bold]It will ensure that DVD Shrink accurately meets the target size.[/bold]

This option will be disabled if you already performed a deep analysis of the same DVD. DVD Shrink will remember the results of previous analysis, so there is no need to do it again. This option will also be disabled if no compression is required.

And finally.
    There are also some DVD's, that even when all the above is done, will not get small enough.
    You can always [bold]Shrink Twice[/bold].

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  6. davrave

davrave Guest

Thanks for all the input people. Now I have discovered something that I have never seen before. This particular DVD will not play properly on either of my installed DVD writers. One is the Plextor 716a and the second is the Sony 720a both with latest firmware updates installed.
    The DVD will play fine on my region free Yamaha DVD-S540 home player.
    I have AnyDVD installed on my PC so region is not an issue and DVD Shrink backs the disc up fine but I am unable to make it small enough to fit onto a 4.7GIG disc, no matter what custom setting I use on DVD Shrink. Other movies work fine. Go figure!