1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink not working......

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by smdepew, Oct 27, 2004.

1. smdepew

smdepew Member

ok before you guys start in on me i have backed up more than 200 dvd with the same programs that i'm tring to use.......i have dvd shrink 3.1 and nero to burn with...and dvd decrptyer for the copy write stuff...not here's my problem...i'm trying to back-up summerslam and dvd shrink says the file is too big....it only has english for audio tracks so i can't just cut those out.....i also tried deep analysis and it only made the files larger.....so what am i missing here? i can put it on a vcd but i really don't care for the quialty with vcd's

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Firstly update to DVD Shrink 3.2 ... then rip the DVD w/ DVD Decrypter in ISO read mode.
    After you've done that , load image into DVD Shrink & re-author whatever you need to ...

Guides : http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

3. smdepew

smdepew Member

yeah i read the thing and i downloaded 3,2 but it's still to big and the only thing i can get rid of with author is either the menus or the extra... i would like to have both....is there some way to cut off the extras and then burn just the extras onto another dvd?

4. herbsman

you can have movie-only & then extras on a seperate disc [or other side if double sided]

just rip movie-only ... compress & burn [done]

rip extras VOBs ... run thru DVD Shrink just to make the disc compatible w/ dvd player [ie; adding needed IFO & BUP files] ... burn :)

no menu tho !!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  5. smdepew

smdepew Member

so is there no way to compress it just a little bit more.....it's only less than 100 mb too big....btw love your avitar

6. forkndave

forkndave Member

You can burn one disc with the extras as a still picture and then burn another one with the movie as a still picture. The only problem with this is that if the first thing the DVD will normally play first is a still picture you will get a screen that says "This video has been removed". If this occurs, just press menu on your remote and the menu will pop up. With this method the menu still works. You can also try running the files through DVD Shrink again if you're a little over on size. This won't help the quality any, but as long as you select deep analysis and one of the AEC settings, it may not be too bad. It'll take quite a while though-maybe 2 or 3 hours.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Soyo KT-600 Ultra Platinum, XP 3000+, 1024 MB PC 3200
    160 GB Maxtor SATA, 250 GB Maxtor SATA
    Lite-On LDW 411S@811S, Lite-On SOHD 167T, Pioneer A07
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  7. smdepew

smdepew Member

I tried the deep analysis but i don't know what AEC are??.....

8. cynthia_

cynthia_ Regular member

You find the settings in the backup section of DVDShrink under Enhanced Quality settings.

9. forkndave

forkndave Member

You have to have shrink V 3.2 for this. After you select backup select Quality Settings. The lower block is for AEC (adaptive error compensation). You can click on "What do these options mean?" for an explanation.

10. smdepew

smdepew Member

yeah i went ahead and downloaded 3.2 and i'm trying it right now....i will let you know if it comes out right...thanks

11. debs182

debs182 Member

I've just posted a similar question in divx/xvid thread, but my problem is trying to shrink a video ts folder to burn on a dvd-r, dvd shrink says the file is still too big and i can't rip anything off it as there is only one audio file. i converted an xvid dvd rip to mpeg2 pal and then ran it through tempeg dvd author to create the video ts folder!
    Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

12. herbsman

Try DVD2One instead :)

13. smdepew

smdepew Member

i would try that but i don't want to spend 30 bucks to just find out it doesn't work any better than dvdshrink.......so does it work better?

14. herbsman

better ? If it works at all with such large file size whereas Shrink wont then I'd say that my suggestion is not such a bad idea...

But you did try compressing w/ DVD Shrink and then if necessary using Shrink on them files again [to get down to 4.3Gb] ?

15. smdepew

smdepew Member

you can use shrink again on the same files?...i just ended up making the menu not work on my but i don't really like it that way.......please tell me more about shrinking again

16. herbsman

When you have the folder with all relevant VOB+IFO+BUP files as the output from DVD Shrink ....

Open Shrink again then use that VIDEO_TS folder as input ... and then compress down to 4.3Gb [4464 mb or so]

Its really that easy :)

17. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... The Herbsman is correct, you can shrink the DVD as many times as you want to ...

... Oh ! My ! Did someone steal the Herbsman's stash or what ? ...

18. herbsman

lol - nah .. just chose to not add signature that time is all :c)-~