1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter not backing up "ELF" dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Knarf_MD, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Knarf_MD

Knarf_MD Guest

Hello, I'm new to this forum & I'm hoping someone can help me? I recently purchased ELF on DVD & I want to back it up. I have used DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter before without fail but they will not work on my ELF DVD. I'm sure they are the most current versions. Is this something I just have to accept or can I back this DVD up? If anyone can help. Thanks!

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

It is not the programs because I have already backed up mine with no problems.

3. Knarf_MD

Knarf_MD Guest

Well mine is a region 1 DVD, does that make a difference? It keeps saying can't unlock one of the VOB files? Even tried DVDXcopy Platinum 3.2.1.0. & it gets stuck around mid way also.

4. starlymae

starlymae Member

I am also trying to burn Elf. You have it good. It is telling me it will take 11hrs. What can I do? I am using DVD shrink. I also have DVD decrypter. I have found guides telling how to use shrink, but they all say the dvd needs to be a certin size and mine is too big. Can someone point me in the right direction to where I can burn a bigger dvd?

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey knarf_md, and starlymae ,I had no trouble with elf. I copied it twice: dvdshrink,nero. I did that last week. If it has 2 titles then i copied each of the main titles. I can't remember, but it came out super.Check out scubapete's guide on dvd shrink. You can download a free version of nero 6 for 1 month free and keep downloading every month. I just open disc, let it analyze,reauthor, drag main movie to the left of screen, let it auto compress or custom "keep it under 4300 mbs" then backup. There you will set nero to burn , setting for speed, quality enhancements, hit ok. Just sit back and wait for it to analyze and encode. If you got single burner like me then you wait for it to spit out original , then put in the blank. pretty easy and it is free! Use quality media like riteck ridata, verbatim, maxell. Don't use memorex and store branded media. Lots of problems. Keep recording speed under 4x. Keep the size of the dvd under 4300 mbs. If you need any questions answered, there are many people here to help you. have a good day

6. snoopydog

snoopydog Guest

i just used shrink put the files on my harddrive then burned with nero. it worked perfect. hope it helps

7. asdf_jags

asdf_jags Member

None of my programs will even open efl :( I usually use dvd decrypter and burn with elby clone dvd2 or dvd shrink, nothing is working with Elf. Does anybody have any ideas?

8. Knarf_MD

Knarf_MD Guest

UPDATE I have now successfully backed up ELF with Saugmon's instructions. It's just the movie mind you no extras or anything but good enough. Whatever protection its got on this disc I couldn't back up the whole dvd. Thank you Saugmon! Even with Scubapete's setup for DVD Shrink it wouldn't copy the whole dvd. Kept stopping at 50% always on the same file. Pain in the @ss but now it's done. Cheers to Afterdawn.com!

9. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

I am having a similar problem with Elf. I have backed up many DVDs, so I understand the concept of reauthoring, and all of that "stuff". My problem is that I cannot get shrink to open the dvd. When I even just try to play the dvd on my PC, it takes a very long time to start up, so I am wondering if shrink is timing out or something. I get the generic "cyclical redundancy yada yada yada" error. Anybody else have this specific issue? All of my other DVDs work fine.

Thanks.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi nihilist2.cyclical redundancy errors usually mean the disc is scratched,dirty, or just poor media. I usually clean every original before i place it in my dvd drive. Is your elf region 1? The one I backed up was. Do you have a genuine elf or a pirated copy? I heard pirated movies are problems. Mine has no special copy protection on it. Just the normal copyright. I all burned was the main movie only, no extras. It sounds more like a bad disc. you may be able to take it back for a replacement. I have done that quite a few times.

11. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

Thanks for the speedy reply saugmon.

I was thinking it was a bad disc as well, but it looks flawless. It is an original, not a bootleg or pirated copy. I believe it is region 1, but i do not see any markings on the disc (I am in the states). I am going to try to clean it, and also give it a shot in my brother's drive, to see if maybe it works better there for some strange reason. If not, I'll return it for another. Update to follow...

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi nihilist2, I see you are going to take elf back for a replacement. Let us know how it comes out. I have 1 problem disc i just replaced, going to see if this one will back up."the day after tomorror" I couldn't back the disc up in both mine and my dads burners.The copy i borrowed looks worse than the one i tried to back up, but i will try anyways. My results will be posted. later

13. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

You were right saugmon, must've been a bad disk. I tried it at my brothers and it didnt work there, so I ran up and replaced it, and the new one works fine. Weird, becuase the first disc looked perfect, but I guess DVDs can be flaky like that. At any rate, it is backing up now.

Thanks for the help.

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey hililist2. Just finished burning the backup of Day after tomorrow! I did it the quick way 40 mins just to mess around. Here is a summory. symptoms: I am trying to back up day after tomorrow. I insert original disc, open disc on shrink, during the initial analyzing "the 2 minute job" the picture would stop. approx 60% through. I did this 5 or so times. I cleaned disc,didn't help. No visible scratches on it. It was new. I tried it on my dads burner. Same thing. Would not get far enough analying to open up the files to reauthor. I put the original in my stand alone home burner on my tv. It played fine until it got 2/3 of the way through. Very suspicious! I then played it through the sony standalone " that baby plays everything". Just as usual, played fine. no skips or jumps. Remedy: I borrowed a replacement copy. Cleaned it thoroughly with eyeglass cleaner and "lint free" silk cloth. This disc looked a 100 times worse than the other one I tried.Small scratches everywhere on disc. I Inserted disc, it gave me " this is encrypted message" I just x'd it off, open up shrink. This is where my problem was. The replacement disc Did the quick analyzing. No problem! I reauthored, dragged the main title over, cut out some of the beginning and ending credits, hit backup. Double checked my settings. I left off the deep analyzing. Made sure i burned it at 4x, ok'd that whala ! encoded fine, Inserted my verbatim +4x blank in. I got a perfect copy in 40 minutes. So I double checked it on the windvd player. Did a quick chapter by chapter check. Looks good. Put it on my cyberhome stand alone burner "tv" . The same, good burn. Tested on "old reliable" sony. Looked good. Now the real test, check on my APEX! Just the usual no disc error. Moral of the Story. Just because the disc looks good doesn't mean it will play and burn good. Defects can occur on brand new original dvd's.

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hi nihilist 2, something i want to add to my last post. After my analying error, I tried dvd decrypter as recommended by another member. It Got 2/3 of the way through before i got the error. Just wanted to add that for info in case someone else has a problem. Later GO BUCKEYES

16. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

Definitely GO BUCKEYES. Getting ready to watch the game right now...

17. ripper357

ripper357 Member

I had the same problem. The dvd had a big smudge in it and would get to 90% and error out. I took it out and cleaned it and it worked. Just my 2 cents

18. klinger

klinger Regular member

Had the same problem with elf could only watch it on PC, burned it at 4x no problem

19. hijacker

hijacker Guest

I've backed up my elf christmas movie.Of course I just backed up the main movie file from shink with no extras because I've had problems with full back ups some times.I use nero ultra edition.Roxio back-ups will just play on PC.Do not burn as a data file in roxio or nero.If you do a full re-author it may not compress all the way for your disc.Plus you don't get 100% compression.Do you really need extras? like the snow ball game on elf?.Re-author drag main movie file, and back-up.This may help in your situation.Plus are you using nero or dvd decryptor? you can back it up it is possible.try just the movie file itself and consider nero w/dvd decrypt

20. szon1

szon1 Member

Had no problems backing up any of my dvd,s including Elf.I have plextor px-708a writer but I do have problems when I use ridata 4x+r media using dvd shrink it wants to write it at 8x. This causes some failures mostly skips during play back.So far I had best results using TDK 4x-r media.Any one know if there is problems using printable dvd's. I also quit using self stick lables because that caused nothing but skipping