1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink or nero problem?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cubswoo, Feb 7, 2005.

1. cubswoo

cubswoo Member

I have been backing up some of my dvds using dvd shrink and burning with nero as it does automatically. I am not getting any error messages on my computer. I go to watch them on my TV and only a few are working all the way through. Most play about halfway through and then lock up. Please help.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Sounds like you might be using bad media, or burning too fast, or both.

3. cubswoo

cubswoo Member

I've used several different media brands with the same results....????

4. hogan

hogan Regular member

Slow down your burn speed. I never burn over 4x with no problems. And use GOOD media Verbatim, Ridata or Ritek.

5. cubswoo

cubswoo Member

I have been burning only at 2x.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Cubswoo, download this free and very handy program to check the manufacturers code on your media: http://afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

You are burning at 2x and your standalone players are freezing and locking them up. Those players are telling you they don't like that media, try some good media.Seeing as you are down to 2x,take it to 1x. Poor media has to be burned slower for certain stand alone players to be able to play them.

Media quality is the #1 problem of dvd burning. The standalone players will magnefy the problems of that media. You are lucky and those stand alones are at least trying to play your backups. Some of the media out there is so crappy,those stand alones will give you a no disc inserted error on them right off the bat.

Your pc is suppose to be able to view it's own backups,not many people watch those backups on their pc. The stand alone players are what we use to play the majority of those backups.

Try a pack of maxell,sony,fuji,or tdk from a local store.Look for made in Japan on the wrappers. I don't know what format you are using,the quality can varry considerably from - to the + formats. That is why maxell is fairly consistant and highly referrable.

Post your codes and that should explain the locking up.

7. cubswoo

cubswoo Member

Sorry about the delay.....

Thanks to all. I bought FUJI DVD+R and disabled all startup programs. All systems are a go. Thanks again.