1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink or Nero Recode (?)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mattym123, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mattym123

mattym123 Regular member

Hi

I was just wondering if Nero record is a better commpression program than DVD Shrink because it has been updated unlike dvd shrink. thanks

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

If you have Nero Recode, use it instead of DVD Shrink. It seems a bit faster at its task and has more features. If you don't have Nero Recode, continue using Shrink as it's a perfectly acceptable free program. Also if you who aren't using Nero as your burning engine, it is possible to autoburn from Shrink with both of the free programs, ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Having Imgburn as a supported burner requires some file swapping, but is fairly easy to set up. So don't expect to see ImgBurn in Shrink's list of supported burners. As for Recode and Shrink, the same person worked on both. Recode may be a little faster, but there are size limitations to how much Recode will compress. With the Quality Settings in Shrink, it can do a better job of handling the larger file requirements of the blockbusters with extras. If you have Recode, I suggest having another program in reserve for the big jobs. As pointed out, Shrink is free.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

edited title

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

If u have both i would clearly go with Nero Recode, as to me i'd say it is almost twice as fast as shrink. I used to use shrink all the time but recode is what i use most of the time now. just my 2 cents.

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I am finding this out myself lately. I do like Recode for it's handling even with soem tough to read files like "Running With Scissors", "Saw 3", "Open Season", & "Monster House". But wish it could tighten up a bit more with DTS Audio movies. Can I take out only "1" single preview under "extras" and leave everything else (in either shrink or recode)? Sometimes to keep DTS I only need 10~30Mb free up. Anybody Using DVD Copy Advance for compression? How does it do?

7. pazzini

pazzini Guest

I have done several tests with Transcoders and Encoders and I would go with Recode, why???, because it's faster than Shrink and gives a slight edge in the quality department too. (not by much as you need to know what you are looking for)

For movies that require alot of compression you need DVD Rebuilder Pro with one of these encoders HC (free) CCE basic $58, $2000 for the SP version or my favourite Procoder 2 £350-$500

With Recode regarding high compression movies do not forget to go into the registry and change the settings to maximum smoothness. this is how to do it.

Go to your start menu and choose Run, type in regedit and hit okay.

Then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Ahead/Preferences

Look for Compress Mode in the sidebar

Your value will read 002 which is the default Sharp setting

003 is max sharp
    002 is sharp
    001 is smooth
    000 is max smooth

To change the value click on the compress mode, then modify and change the last number to the value you want.

In order for you to be able to do this you must have used Recode at least once, so the program can set the value.

Maximum smoothness will produce a better picture for movies that require 20%+ compression than on the normal default sharp setting.

This is just IMHO ;)

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

NuckNFuts

Those files wouldn't be as hard to read if you use RipIt4Me (use the 1-Click mode). You obviously like to learn, so check it out. http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html You can get the download at the site. Just remember to have the latest DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter installed before using the RI4M installer. If you don't like using Shrink, remember where the files are sent on the hard drive. Close the Shrink after the quick analysis compliance test and open the files in Recode or whatever you like.

As for editing there are 2 ways in Shrink. In Full DVD you edit by inserting Still Image from Compression settings. Reauthor should be obvious, but you lose your funtioning menu here. It's drag and drop. Put the files you want recorded in the box and record.

With Recode you can choose movie only or full DVD up front. With Full DVD you can then expand the titles and use Disable to edit them out. With both Shrink and Recode you can highlight a title and view it on the viewer to see what you're editing. As I mentioned before, you should see a number of similarities between the programs. The same guy worked on both.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  9. HelpPleas

HelpPleas Regular member

who is "the guy" pacman. Does he post here at AD??

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL There must be a bunch of PacMen. I tried some low numbers and couldn't get one, so I gave up and went with PacMan777. Any idea which PacMan you want?

11. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I agree with pazzini, for anything below 75% on Video Quality ratio, I'll simply fire up my DVD-RB Pro + CCE SP 2.70.2.0 and if it's 75% and up, I'll use Nero Recode's enhancements quality: "AA + HQSR + Assign Best Quality to Main Movie" or I'll simply use Recode's AEC changer to "Max Smooth."

Here's Nero Recode's AEC Changer by Solomon http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=72150

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Alkohol
    I'm with you, but as I mentioned before, I've gotten lazy. I usually use RB/CCE for about everything that needs compression. I'll qualify that with "I sometimes use a transcoder for very light compression". Mostly I use a transcoder when someone has their hand out wanting the backup now. If I'm doing a backup for a prized DVD, I want the best quality possible. If I didn't care about the quality, I wouldn't need to do the backup. ;)

HelpPleas
    If I'm not the right PacMan, I may be able to help anyway. What were you needing help with.

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I hear you there, on the quality. So of corse I'll just let it go through Decrypter as ISO and and burn there as well with low speed control on DL disc. But usuall for traveling in the car and hotels I don't wanna use up good DL disc on movies I have at home , just for the trip in case they get trashed by kids and road trip. So in this case, I'm looking for compactness, but playable in most players, especially the picky one you usually get in a hotel or a friends house away from home. I got RipIt4Me working, no prob. I just wanna get to know it better in line w/ Decrypter.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

RI4M uses DVD Decrypter. There is no longer any user input needed on the Decrypter part of the program. In fact with 1-Click, there is no user input needed except the get the program started.

15. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I still prefer Shrink, speed is not an issue and unless I'm missing something I can't find the option to set Default Streams in Recode, which I find very useful for subbed movies. I also use the modified version that burns directly with Imgburn and prefer the true ISOs that Shrink creates. The Shrink GUI is also much quicker to use. And with video source material Max Sharpness is great, even at high compression. AEC changer for Recode is nice but it does entail an extra step.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

pazzini
    Solomon Broad wrote a small program to change the AEC settings in Recode. you just click it on, check the desired setting and enter. No need to do the manual registry change anymore. The link has been posted around the forum, I don't remember it off hand.

17. pazzini

pazzini Guest

Cheers m8, I noticed it in alkohols post, but thanks for the heads up ;)

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome. Thought I'd just mention it since it's easier than doing the registry manually. I know my way around the registry, but still like doing things the easy way. Solomon's tool makes the task of changing the settings a lot easier for novices.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  19. 2colors

2colors Guest

If you search around you'll find a version of Shrink that has ImgBurn as a burner option. But if time is not an issue go with Dvd Rebuilder, even the free version works great with HC encoder.

20. pazzini

pazzini Guest

It is alot easier than messing about in the registry, great tool to have. :-D

Here is the link again for any members that may of missed it in alkohols post

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=72150