1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink problem movie freezing

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dsdclerk, Dec 28, 2004.

1. dsdclerk

dsdclerk Guest

using dvd shrink with either nero or dvd dycripter to burn and cannot burn any dvds that will not freeze or pause while watching .any suggestions would greatly be welcomed

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Are those backups freezing on the pc or stand alone player,or both when you are watching them?

How fast are you burning?

What media and format are you burning?

What is the brand name and model # of your burner?

Probable media issue, We mainly need to know if your pc,the drive that burned it,can play those backups ok.

3. dsdclerk

dsdclerk Guest

playing on the pc but no sound but my reg dvds also wont play any sound. but stand alone players are where the freezing problems are .
    I reduced from 8 to 4 speed .
    memorex dvd-r
    sony dvd+or-r 8 speed . just got this new last week

like I said before they play alright in my pc but no
    sound ,but my reg dvds do the same thing . they say that this program is not supported for this type of media and that if you proceed you will have no sound.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The memorex media is not very reliable. Try slowing it down to 1x-2x. The no sound on your pc on the original dvds is a different problem.

Maybe the audio cable came off the back of the drive,inside your tower.

On the freezing part, get a couple of small packs of tdk,maxell,or fuji of each + and - "dash" formats. That player probably needs a special ricipe: Maybe just a certain brand or very slow burn speed. The + format seems to work on newer stand alones and - is for older ones. At least you have the option to burn either format which is a bonus.Some stand alones may play one or the other or both. I haven't run into any that would play 1 certain format.

I use win dvd 6 to watch my backups to test on pc and it is an excellent program.

Try the media switch to what I listed along with both ,and keep the burn under 4x.

5. makabenta

makabenta Member

My computer freezes while "shrink" is encoding. Encoding does not go beyond 2% and computer will freeze. This just happened recently, I have been using SHRINK/DECRYPTER/NERO for several months successfully. Any suggestion????

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mac, your issue sounds more like a heat issue. Dvd shrink will push your processor to 100%.

Try cleaning your tower with compressed air,clean blower/s,fans, and especially around your processor. Many people here are saying their towers heat up 5 degrees while using dvd shrink.

Try opening up your tower,clean it, and place a regular room fan pointed at it. I had to add a new heat sink fan,extra fan in the back and also a pci slot blower in the bottom of the back.

When your encoding gets to 2 % and freezes, is this only on 1 certain dvd you are backing up or most of them? A damaged disc can do this,usually get a crc error, Cyclitic redundancy error.Especially if it is at the same spot,every time on a certain original disc.This would be a separate issue.

Another possibility is your hard may defragged. Dvd ripping can put a toll on that hard drive.I usually defrag every 2 or 3 days,some defrag every day.

Later

7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Whenever you encrypt or burn, turn off all your virus software and any non-essential processes or anything task-manager scheduled jobs. I think this is responsible for more bad burns than anything. I have McAfee VS Suite installed and that is the worst offender. They assign all their processes high priority which you can't change to low or normal. And every few minutes, my CPU usage will spike to 100%. (Keep your task manager in your tray icons and see if you notice spikes.) These spikes cannot be good for encoding or burning. Check out this link to know which Windows services you can disable:
    http://users.accesscomm.ca/gbraun/wxp/services.htm

8. dsdclerk

dsdclerk Guest

thanks saugmon ,I seemed to have maybe solved my problem with your help and what I have been reading on the forum . I went to a different dvd Verbatium in dvd-r an slowed the burn speed down to 4x and burnt two movies bad boys 2 and garfield the movie and besides for one small pause on garfield everything went fine . THANKS ps can I download the player you spoke about somewhere on the internet ?

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dsdclerk, glad to see the media and slower burn speed helped you out.You might even want to try 2x.I know verbatim uses mcc-both japan and taiwan,ricohjpn, and c-magnetics.You got to watch out for those cmag verbs.

I tried to get a link for windvd6 but got a white page.

I had the windvd4 before I upgraded to windvd6 gold. and it was still awesome.

I am an ebayer so I bought windvd 4 for about $8.00 american for my dad's pc. Including s&h. $45.00 for the windvd6 gold. The gold usually runs about $50.00 at bestbuy.

Have a great new year.