1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Shrink Problem

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by dtdunk, Aug 31, 2004.

1. dtdunk

dtdunk Member

I have dvd shrink and Nero 6 installed on my computer. I have been using them to burn dvds with no problem. But yesterday I was trying to burn a dvd and the whole process slowed down. It used to take me around an hour and now it takes several hours and often fails. How can I speed up the process? WHhen I run shrink I dont have other programs open

2. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

3. dtdunk

dtdunk Member

its a brand new computer so I dont think I need to defrag my hard drive. What is the whole DMA thing about I didnt understand? thanks for the help though

4. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi dtdunk

If you are creating files and deleting them you will need to defrag your drives. I normally do my backups in batches - 2 or three on the weekend. When I check my fragmentation level after ripping a movie or two, it always shows some fragmentation.

Let me explain it this way. You are working on a project - files are everywhere - some in folders - some are not. When you need to finalize the presentation you will then tidy up a bit. Organize those files into the right folders - straight up the work area so you can find the material you need to make that presentation.

So with defragmentation. It will tidy up the files on the hard drive and put them all together speeding up the time needed to locate the right files and put them on the disc you are burning.

As for DMA. Windows has a habit, if it sees errors while playing a disc to downgrade its access.
    Your data access and transfer speed is influnenced by the DMA setting

I hope this helps

5. dtdunk

dtdunk Member

OK I defraged my computer and made sure my DMA settings were correct, but im still burning at 634 kb/s when the speed i have set is 11,000 kb/s. Whats going on?

on another note I recentley installed an intense symantec firewall onto my computer, but nero and dvd shrink both have full acess. However things do seem to have slowed down after I installed it. Any more ideas? thanks for the help

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Are you able to temporarily disable the firewall before a burn in order test whether that's the problem or not?

7. dtdunk

dtdunk Member

Yeah I can disable it, but I've tried and it doesnt do anything