1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sprgrl, Jan 6, 2005.

1. sprgrl

sprgrl Member

I keep getting an error saying that there is not enough space in my target drive when doing backup. Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong. This is the first time I've used this program.
    Thanks

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Means either you are saving the files to the wrong place or your hard drive is to full to make the backup.

3. sprgrl

sprgrl Member

Where should I be saving the files to? Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it!

4. sakmd

sakmd Member

it might be that you don't have the req space on your hard drive as was suggested above. check the amt of space on your hard drive(s) and see how much space you have. for a movie that has been compressed by shrink, you'll need about 4.5gigs. most of mine have fallen between 4.3-4.3 gigs. if you're doing a movie that you aren't compressing, for example you'll be burning to a double layer disc, then you'll need much more free space...around 7.5gigs.

as far as where to save....it's entirely up to you...as long as you have the req free space. if you are running low on your c: drive and have a d: drive, chances are you may have more space available to you on your d: drive. again, check the available space on the hard drives on your computer. i have one c: drive w/ 250 gigs of space, so space is not an issue. i have a folder setup on my desktop called 'dvd work' in this folder i creates subfolders for the projects i am doing. so if i'm doing troy for example..within the 'dvd work' folder i'll create a 'troy' folder. once the disc has been opened in shrink..i go to backup. when the backup box pops up you'll see two fields...one is for 'select backup target' and the field below that is 'select target image file' (this is where you choose where you want your files to be saved) below the second field there is a browse button. i click on browse, then navigate to the folder i created for troy and then select that. and that's all there is to it. again, just create a folder on whichever drive has the available space, and save all of your work in that dedicated folder. once you are done w/ your backup...and you've had a chance to check the movie out and make sure it plays ok, then you can delete the files off of your hard drive.

hope this helps!

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Maybe I shoulda been more specific above. When I said to make sure your saving it to the right spot I ment drive. I have come across people that has had the target folder pointed to the DVD rom drive and of course you will get that error. Make sure your sending the files to your Hard drive, Like abouve you should have at least more then 4.7 gigs free. You can save them as a BACK_UP FOlder or an imagie file. Myself I save them as a folder then use IMGtool with nero suport to burn the folder onto the disc. Some use the IMG file. It is really up to the persons prefrence on what they prefer to do.

6. sprgrl

sprgrl Member

Thanks for the help, I was able to complete the burn process sucessfully! But now I have a new problem, when I try to watch movie on computer, it won't read it, it is saying to insert dvd into default drive even though I already have. Any advice? Thanks again

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Do you have more then 1 DVD-ROM installed? If so place the disc in the other ROM drive

8. sprgrl

sprgrl Member

No, just the one

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Are you sure the DVD Burned the information? Place it in your DVD-Rom drive and click on My computer then right click your DVD-ROM drive in the list click on Open see if the AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS files are listed

10. sprgrl

sprgrl Member

You're right,it is showing the disk as empty. I am so getting fed up with this, who knew it would be this difficult. I just got the dvd burner for Christmas. I am using dvd shrink and decrypter (newest versions) and have tried burning numerous times, i even printed off scubapete's guide and tried that. Why is it saying that the process was successful if it wasn't?

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Are you backing up to a ISO file or a BACK_UP Folder with subfolders of VIDEO_TS and a AUDIO_TS folder in it? with DVD Shrink?

12. sprgrl

sprgrl Member

I thought I was but maybe not. As you can tell, i don't really know what i'm doing! lol I'll try it again to be sure and I'll let you know if it works. Thanks for your help, I'll probably be needing it again!

13. sprgrl

sprgrl Member

Yes I am backing up to an iso file with shrink but when it comes time to write it using decrypt it is a mds file.
    Any suggestions?