1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Da_sniper, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Da_sniper

Da_sniper Member

Using DVD Shrink for Decrypting and burning on a Sony 710 a burner . DVD Shrink just will not do the job . I am new to burning but it should be simple . At this time I have messed up about 30 blanks . 1 out of 5 work in the DVD player . They all work on my computer however . I am doing them in any way I can and they will just not work . If one does burn and play right ........... I then go to burn another the same way , the next one will not play . Whats up with this . I have followed the DVD Shrink tut to the letter .
    Anyone have any suggestions . At between one to two hours per disk I really don't ever want to use DVD Shrink anymore . But if someone comes up with a something I have not tried I may try it again . I am now on a lookout for a new program to work with however .

2. matt72

matt72 Regular member

I suggest you get the latest version of dvd decrypter first. It's free and handles most of the latest movies out there. Also if you are trying to backup a css protected dvd try out the trial version of anydvd. Once you rip the contents of the dvd to your harddrive use dvdshrink to format to fit on a 4.37g dvd and burn away. Oh anydvd will expire after 21 days but that should be more than enough time to determine if you wish to purchase it. Also refer to the guides section if you want the veterans way on how to backup your personal dvds.

3. Da_sniper

Da_sniper Member

I am gonna try DVD Decrypter now . Does the Decrypting portion of DVD Shrink not work very well .

4. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

The decryting part of DVD Shrink works fine in most cases. The problem is it is an older version and the programer is not doing anymore updates so we need to use some new tools to decrypt the new movies. Some guys love Dvd Decrypter and others like ANYDVD both are great programs and all you need to do is pick one. Then use DVD Shrink to fit your movie to a dvd5 disk.

Another possible reason for your problems ..... what type of blank DVD are you using and are you doing anything on your computer while you are doing your movie. Some guys have had good luck with cheap dvd disks but it is best to get some good quality disks for your movies also do not do anything on your computer while you are ripping ..... compressing and burning your movie and shut down any programs you are running in the background. Hope this helps .....

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  5. Da_sniper

Da_sniper Member

Well I am using Memorex Blanks aND NO i AM NOT DOING ANYTHING AT ALL WHILE working on the DVD's .

6. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

well .... your blanks could be part of the prob..... though some guys have luck with them. If your problem keeps going on try a different brand .... maxell are good and come on sale ofter as doo sony

7. Da_sniper

Da_sniper Member

I have now encoded a dvd using DVD Decrypter and started using DVD shrink to burn it . However when I started the burn process using DVD shrink it analized the folder on my hard drive where DVD Decrypter had put the movie and then started recoding it to a second folder to my hard drive . I am doing the proces twice and it's taking twice as long and I don't see any real benifit in doing it this way . I will not spend half a day to perfoem this process . Whats wrong ?

8. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

well maybe you will prefer to use the ANYDVD route then ..... it runs in the background and removes the copy protection on the dvds..... you can then just use shrink

9. trock0002

trock0002 Member

What Shrink is doing is taking the output from Decryptor and compressing it to fit on to a DVD5 disk. This process it recoding(reauthor). It will have to go through this process as there will be no other way to get the movie to fit on a DVD5 disk, unless you are trying to backup a DVD5 to a DVD5. Even if you decrytpted with Shrink, you would still have to encode it and then burn it.

10. Da_sniper

Da_sniper Member

So this is normal then ? Queston ......... is there a program to remove the copy prtection and copy the files to a folder and burn the dvd without having to encode the files more than one time .

11. trock0002

trock0002 Member

With Decryptor you can copy all the files to a folder, but you will always have to "encode" them to before burning them to a disk because the files Decryptor places in the folder are usualy 7 or 8 gig, much to big for a regualr DVD5 disk.

12. trock0002

trock0002 Member

To answer your question...Decryptor will put them in the folder and burn it as long as your files size total equals that of a DVD5 or less.

13. Da_sniper

Da_sniper Member

Bout to give up here . I used dvd decryetper to encode the disk to my hard drive and dvd shrink from there . Still when I put it in my dvd player it said " no disk " This is bad disk 31 and 1 week of putting in 2 or more hours per day .

14. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

@Da_sniper

You have me confused about what you are doing.....

15. trock0002

trock0002 Member

I think this could be the trouble. Your method could be perfect, but your media might not be. I have seen and heard that Memorex are not that good. What is the exact name of the blanks you are using.

16. Da_sniper

Da_sniper Member

I went and bought a diffrent blank . I am gonna use some Sony+R blanks to see how this will work . It's going through the encoding phase now (Tired of encoding}
    One question . For backing up movies , should I use -R or +R

17. Da_sniper

Da_sniper Member

The newest burn using the Sony DVD+R media worked . Not gonna get too happy yet . Gonna back up more then will report back . But so far I thank you all for your input and help here .

18. trock0002

trock0002 Member

+R or -R really depends on the DVD player. I have two, well three if you count the PS2. The PS2 and one DVD player can play both, while the other DVD player will only play -R.

19. trock0002

trock0002 Member

Thats good to hear. Media seems to be a great issue with DVD burning and his highly disussed in the forums.

20. Da_sniper

Da_sniper Member

Well the second burn has worked ok . I plan on backing up a few of my more expensive movies later . I guess I will not post on this subject again unless I find that the problem returns . Thanks guys . Enjoy your weekend .