1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd shrink problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Steelwill, May 5, 2007.

1. Steelwill

Steelwill Member

While tring to shrink down a dvd during the encoding process it get about half way done and the computer reboots. I can't for the life of me figure this one out. Anyone have this happen to them ?

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hello.

Does this happen repeatedly, every time, every different title, or does it occur with just a particular title.

Possible causes:
    - bad memory
    - CPU overheating during the encoding process
    - programming error that is encountered
    - faulty power supply unit

The most likely would be overheating or a bad power supply imo. What are your system specs--CPU type and speed, amount of memory?

3. Steelwill

Steelwill Member

Yeah it does happen every time and with different titles
    The computer is an e machine AND 3200 processor 512 MB ram I don't know what power supply is in it. It worked just fine up until about a month ago.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Open the case and make sure the CPU fan is running as well as the power supply or other case fans. Leave the case cover off and try again. Does your BIOS allow you to monitor the CPU temperature? Encoding is very processor intensive and will heat up your processor. If your AMD 3200+ is a Sempron processor, it'll really heat up doing encoding. If it's an Athlon it should be able to handle the encoding ok. You might also try putting a floor fan blowing over the open case just for testing.

5. Steelwill

Steelwill Member

I did notice when set this computer up it did dvds with no problems and now the wife has been using it and my oldest daugther is doing online classes it has been acting up. I have another computer I am thinking of setting it up to do my dvds on.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  6. Steelwill

Steelwill Member

Hey I just checked it is a AMD athlon processor.

7. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Steelwill

The computer rebooting during the transcoding phase is most likely caused by an overheated microprocessor as already stated by laddyboy, open your PC's case and make sure all fans are operating properly (especially the one on the micro), also try and clean out any accumulated dust on the internal components (do this with the PC off). If all looks clean and the fans are operating correctly, it's possible the powersupply may be failing under heavy load conditions, if this is the case, you should be able to easily replace it.

You should also run a virus/spyware scan just incase, also defrag the hard drive (wouldn't hurt).

Last edited: May 5, 2007