1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink problems

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by silent85, Apr 27, 2005.

1. silent85

silent85 Member

Hey all

I have used DVD Decrypter to take the movie onto my hard drive and then I tried to use dvd shrink and it can't shrink the movie The Basic down to size so if anyone can help me out with another program the compresses or another function of DVD Shrink I don't know about that be great.

Thanks
    Tim

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The quality won't be very good but you can run it through dvd shrink once compressing it as much as you can and save it to a vidio folder on your hdd then run it through again. You can also try the fully functional 21 day free trial of intervideo DVDCopy3. Here's the link.
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopy_Profile.jsp

3. silent85

silent85 Member

thanks a lot Mort81

I will give it a try and see how well it works :)

Tim

4. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi Mort81,

I'm quite pleased with the results of DVDShrink, and then again I'm no video export.

You really think Intervideo DVDCopy3 is way better for quality ?

I should make 2 copies, one with Shrink and one with DVDCopy3 and see if I can tell the difference :)

Just curious !

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi cougar_ii,

I'm no video expert either but I am very particular about my backups. I personally think it is better but not way better. You have to weigh out the pros and cons for each and decide for yourself. Dvd shrink is the best free backup app hands down. Every app has its place. One example here where there is too much compression required for shrink with 1 pass. I have a lot of backups made with shrink before I forked out the money for retail software and I thought (and still think) they were/are pretty good. I now use DVDRemake and RB/CCE almost exclusively for my backups. Be your own judge, try both and make your own decision. Let us know what conclusion you come to.

Edit: It's really a matter of personal preference. For those that want only the main movie, dvd shrink is (usually) more than sufficient and will do as good of job as the retail software. I personally like a working menu, deleted/extended scenes, bloopers, and sometimes the making of, editing out previews, trailers, and warning screens on my backups therefore requiring more compression. My trimmed video folder is usually around 7500 mb.

Mort

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

How's DVDRemake and RB/CCE comparing to InterVideo 3 and DVDIdle Pro 5.84? I mean what's your opinion on them, meaning which has better quality picture wise and the ease of use? Just wondering... because I'm a long time Inter user and always searching for any better results.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi alkohol,

I have never used DVDIdle. Is there a free fully functional trial? If so I would like to give it a go. Quality wise I don't think you can beat RB/CCE especially for those requiring a lot of compression. DVDCopy3 is not far behind and tears up RB/CCE speed wise. Like I stated earlier, every app has its place. If all I want is the movie I always use DVDCopy3. It also handles high compression well.

8. silent85

silent85 Member

I tried the intervideo and I found that it takes forever!! I didn't even want to wait it out so I am going to try a few other programs and see if I have any luck with them.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

silent85,

Are you sure it was DVDCopy3 and not DVDCopy2? They have made some major improvements. I can backup a dvd in a little over 30 min on the fly with DVDCopy3 and less than an hour saving it to my hdd first.

10. silent85

silent85 Member

the movie already on my hard drive. I just need to shrink it down to size and dvd shrink seems not able to do that... so with dvdcopy3 I tried it file to dvd and it was taking forever... It might be slow because it only a friggen trial but that doesnt make any sense because they want you to but their product.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The trial shouldn't make any difference. You need to take into concideration that DVDCopy3 is also burning to your blanc disc while it is encoding therefore saving about 15 min (if burned at 4x) of time required to burn.

One disadvantage of DVDCopy3 is you can not set the burn speed. It burns at the speed the media is rated for. I usually save the encoded file to a video folder and burn it at 4x with nero.

Regardless, It tears up dvd shrink (with advanced analysis and max smoothness) time wise and the video quality is superior IMHO.

12. silent85

silent85 Member

well I just found out that the copy I had on my hard drive was corrupted so it was niether dvd shrink problem or intervideo problem so I will have to try again.

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

alkohol,

I looked at DVDIdle and could not really see where I would benefit from it. Don't get me wrong, I see the benefits but don't feel they really apply to my situation. Good program if I watched a lot of dvd's on a laptop.