1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink produced the wrong type of files - why?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cenozoite, Apr 5, 2005.

1. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

I know there's a DVD Shrink forum but this is a pretty basic, newbie-ish question.

When using the full-disc backup option with DVD Shrink, I selected the option to create an ISO image instead of burning immediately or creating the video.ts hard-drive type files.

However, Shrink produced three .VOB files instead of any ISO or MDS type ones. Why? I'm certain that I selected ISO, and I got VOB instead. What did I do wrong?

2. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

No replies to this question whatsoever? I got three VOB fles, and nothing else. No IFO, nothing. And in addition, one of the VOB files is a whopping 10 gigs in size.

Can someone please help?

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

4. skyluck

skyluck Member

Y'all git some "shrinking" problems?! I just posted some reponses on realted topic (though a little more "advance" than you guys hehe) on the Shrink forum (and yes, you should go there, one of the golden commandments here i think!). I wouldn't recommend using the "full-disc" option dude/ess (thats why you got 10G!) but the re-authoring option instead. You still have the choice of throwing in some "extras" and still insuring as little compression as possible and hence better picture quality . As for the ISO/VOB dilemma (and I assume you have use the lastest free Decryptor prior to applying Shrink encoding/Nero), if you have the forementioned setup, it'll provide you with both an ISO and VOB files, which you can either archive or delete to your HDD (take up alot of room quickly!). Dont worry about it; thats how it works. Burn, delete (I save them for archiving and even transporting) if you want to, then go on to next one. Again, try "re-author" as most people on this forum seem to do. It takes a little work but you can get alot of work out of Shink that way.Hope that helps.

5. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

Funnily enough I retried the process and this time, even on full-disk, it worked correctly and produced the desired 4.7 GB ISO file, which I then burned.

But why would I want/need to use decryptor to rip the movie first when Shrink is perfectly capable of doing the ripping itself?