1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Quality

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sbquart, Mar 5, 2005.

1. sbquart

sbquart Member

I have a little over 700 DVDs and want to back up just the main movie uncompressed. I've been using DVD Shrink or Decrypter for making backups of my movies uncompressed. Some movies I can fit the entire disc and menus and some I only get just the movie with no compression at all as I have a 92" screen and want full quality. Now by using either shrink or decrypter when I make uncompressed copies are they identical to the originals? Should I bother making backups or just keep the real ones? I've watched my copies and they look good just dont want to short change myself. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The legal part of this,if you live here in the USA, you have to own and posess the originals in order to legally have a backup copy.

92" screen, holy moly!!!!

I just have the basic 35" right now,but those heavily compressed dvd's I use dvd shrink max smoothness enhancement and I can't tell a difference. You my friend will be the one to let us know if that quality level goes down on your monster screen.

3. sbquart

sbquart Member

I did use some compression on one disc I believe it was nemo at about 43% compression or something. And there was noticeable blockiness during fast moving scenes. Color was off a bit too, but was ok for my 30" Hdtv. Just want to know if the backups are a bit for bit same as the originals.

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

If you dont use compression, then they are identical to the originals.

5. sbquart

sbquart Member

Thanks.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yep, main movie only,and even edit out some of the extra crap like beginning and ending credits. That can help on on reducing the compression. 43% is a lot of compression. Lord of the rings trilogy comes to mind in that range,just for main movie only.3+ hr movies.

You might even want to try them on some taiyo yuden media. That higher quality media and a 4x or slower burn speed will help out for your quality as well.

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Good media is a must,also slow burning speeds.
    I dont cutoff credits, I compress them into still pictures, so the music at the end doesnt get cutoff in mid song.

8. sbquart

sbquart Member

I've been using taiyo yuden media but been burning at 8x. I guess I'll slow it down now.