1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink -query

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hcap, Sep 4, 2004.

1. hcap

hcap Member

My wife and son bought me a dvd for fathers day and I wanted to save the original by making a copy and playing the copy. I have a pioneer A06 in a p4 3 gig box with 1 gig of corsair ram and WD 80 gig hd.
    I downloaded the latest version of shrink and started it...analysing went fine but when it started to encode I received "Dvd Shrink encountered an error and can not continue Copy protection error The request cannot be performed because of an I/O device error" Now i have read the forums and the 2 proposed problems were 1. scratched cd 2. Wrong region ...both of these did not apply........ On my old box I had a copy of DVDShrink 3.0 beta 5 which i loaded and it worked perfectly!!!! so i tried the latest one and again it didnt work.
    Can someone explain why this would happen???
    Thanks in advance

hcap

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

Weird mate!!.

Personally I would use DVD decrypter (it's free) to rip the whole dvd, in "File Mode". THEN load these files into shrink 3.2, "Open Files". Selct the backup method you require, then let it do it's stuff.

As you are well aware DVD shrink sometimes "throws a wobbler" on some DVD titles. Using Decrypter to rip prior to shrink usially cures the problem.

I hope this helps.

3. michigan

michigan Guest

also tyr playing it on your computer for a minute stop it then try Shrink sometimes Shrink gets a little stuck and then this works.
    If shrink truely won't open the disc PLEASE let me know I'm trying to compile a list of Discs it won't work with and I only have 1 title ont he list.

4. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

I have had the same thing happening to me. What i did was uncheck the option to burn with nero. It is located in the preferences, then under the I/O tab. Now the only problem with this is you need to manually burn the disk on your own, it wont do it automatically. So you need to remember where you are saving your shrink encoded files. If you need any help, let me know. Its a bit of a pain, but it works. But if you can, try what michigan suggested. It did not work for me though, but would be easier.

5. mark1

mark1 Member

Hi Acme,

Your problem is that DVD shrink is not recognizing that the 2nd half of the dvd you are trying to burn is on the 2nd layer of the disk. If you check the copy right error is exactly at the end of the layer hence the slight pause when watching the dvd.

Like above, i guarentee if you rip with dvd Decrypter first, then you can use shrink if you wish to add or subtract a few things like the end credits etc.
    Hope this helps, not sure why the latest version of dvd shrink wont rip the 2nd layer?

mark

6. Acme8790

Acme8790 Member

I see what you mean. But I have been successfully burning the DVD's the way I have mentioned so I just stcik with it. Nothing against DVD Decrypter but I like working with just shrink. The only thing I have going on is having to manually burn with Nero, not a big deal, just was nicer to have shrink burn with nero automotically. I am not sure why I have never used Decrypter because they say its a good program, but if I have something working i dont like switching because I dont like to ruin a good thing.

7. hcap

hcap Member

I am so sorry it has taken me this long to reply but the unchecking the nero toggle did the trick....Thank you all so much for helping
    Kind Regards

hcap