1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink question for Oriphus

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by MisterK, Aug 24, 2003.

1. MisterK

MisterK Guest

Greetings!

I hope my subject line was not inappropriate; I've been following a lot of the newbie threads, and I've noticed your strong recommendations for DVD Shrink. I was wondering what steered you toward Shrink? What had you used (if anything) before you discovered Shrink?

Just wondering!

2. MisterK

MisterK Guest

I guess it wasn't appropriate.

Oh well.

3. MisterK

MisterK Guest

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2003
  4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

5. MisterK

MisterK Guest

You would be correct. My apologies.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sorry mate, i never saw this thread. Your not really supposed to ask specific members, but i dont mind.

The reason i was steered toward DVD shrink was basicaly because of the following:

1). Its free
    2). It rips and compresses DVD's
    3). It does number 2 very fast
    4). It has very good quality.

I use it out of convenience. I wouldnt touch DVDXcopy, but i do use DVD Decrypter and DVD2One the odd time also. I dont tend to use Smart Ripper, DVD Shrink's ripper is based on it anyway.

Sorry for the delay in the reply. I dont know how i managed to miss this one! :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]For DVD Back up info: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk
    For User Guides/Downloads: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  7. MisterK

MisterK Guest

No problem; I appreciate your reply, despite the faux pas :)

I've followed a lot of the threads, and read different member's recommendations to get an idea of what the better programs might be. Free and fast is nice, but speed doesn't mean much to me. I'd rather have a nice-looking back-up that took a few hours to put together and cost a few bucks. I'd given IC a go, but it was a wee bit frustrating that it would rarely transcode anything close 4.3 GB to a disc. So, I'm still "experimenting". I don't think I'll have HDTV or a plasma screen t.v. in my living room in the near future, so CCE solutions aren't real practical for me. To be honest, My eyes can't see a huge difference between a couple of experiments I did with DVD Shrink and IC.

Just out of curiosity, what operating system do you use?

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers!

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

IM using this system:
    P4 2.53GHz
    768 MB DDRRAM
    Windows XP
    160 GB HD 7200

The new version of DVD Shrink has whats called Deep Analysis. Adds about 40mins to the process but provides you with noticeable difference in quality according to the creator. Thats version 3.0 beta 5. When you referred to IC - did you mean Instant Copy? I presume you did. I think you would be happy with DVD Shrink v3.0 Beta 5

9. MisterK

MisterK Guest

Yes, I was referring to InstantCopy.

The DVDShrink program has a nice interface. I do like the way it breaks down all the extras so I can re-author the main movie... and fill the entire DVD. Not too bad for a Beta version. Do you use DVD2One for movies longer than 2 hours?

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, basically thats what i use it for! I would use it for LOTR as well. Actually, with LOTR, I dont compress it. I let DVD Shrink rip all 8+GB's of the movie to a folder. Then split it to two discs using TMPGEnc DVD Author.

11. herbsman

You have a 60" Projector Chris , so you tell us...is it noticeable mate (over DVD2One 1.2) ?

[​IMG]

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hmmm...not that i noticed to be honest. However, i will try it on LOTR 2 tomorrow with both programs and see what it throws out! Most of my DVD2One's are larger movies than DVD Shrink because i was a firm believer in DVD2One variable compression over DVD shrinks constant for movies over 2hours.

13. herbsman

I'd be very interested to know your results with such a large screen guv'nor

;-)

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I needed to compress at 63%, so using DVD Shrink i did it first the normal quick way, once id re-athured and goten rid of all the crap. It was ok - though at times quite blurred on the 60" screen. However, i did notice a slight improvement when i re-did it using Deep analysis mode - adds 30mins to it, but there is a good bit of difference in quality. This was mainly in the fight scenes and fast moving ones. However, I did the same DVD in DVD2One as movie only with variable compression. It looked just as good as deep analysis on DVD Shrink. for now i think i will stick to DVD2One for the larger compressions.

15. herbsman

Nice one bruv

It's good to hear that your at least hosting the option of DVD2One on certain projects & not just praising DVD Shrink all the time ...

[bold] ; )[/bold]

P.S. Did you use Beta 5 or 2.3 homeboy ?

16. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

I am interested in how you reauthor using dvdshrink to get rid of the extra crap. Do you reauthor and then select out just the movie to the new field to get a disc with what you want. I have not seen anything that describes this. I have the 3.0 beta and the help does not work on my version. I like dvdshrink and recordmax as they work well for me and it has been reliable (albeit slow with my 1x dvd recorder) and the playback works better than xcopyxpress but I would like to get rid of the previews and other stuff other than compressing to still images.

17. LabGuru

LabGuru Member

@yuedana,

If you are interested in Main Movie only, then that would be it (from reading your post, I wasn't sure if you are trying to include compressed still images). Open a Re-Author window, and drag "Title 1" from the Main Movie Folder to the Re-Author window. Select your preferences from Compression, Audio and Subpicture, and then click on Back-up. You'll then be given an option to select Deep Analysis, which I recommend. It takes a little longer to process the files, but speed has never been an issue for me.

Click on the chrismccann.co.uk links for more help. There are good guides on those sites.

18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I used Beta 5 Herbsman.