1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Question

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by NUMBER_4, Jul 2, 2007.

1. NUMBER_4

NUMBER_4 Guest

Sorry for being such a newbie, but is DVD Shrink supposed to analyze the DVD before it displays all the files? I haven't used it in a long time. I recently put in a DVD, and opened it with DVD Shrink and it didn't do any analyzing whatsoever. It just displayed the files.

Also, I tried to backup one DVD, and so I clicked Backup. But an error came up saying: "The DVD is too large". Well obviously the DVD is too large. I thought the whole purpose of this was to shrink the files so it isn't too large.

One more thing. I'm getting a cyclic redundancy error all the time. Is that meaning the disc is scratched, or the drive is not reading the disc properly?

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi NUMBER_4
    If you've already backed up this dvd once w/ Shrink - Shrink will remember it and not analyze it again. You're fine there.

Every one in a while Shrink may have a problem with the compression to fit it on a single layer. Uncheck all the unneeded audios just leaving AC3-5.1.
    Go to edit>preferences and in the preferences tab check on make sure it's set to DVD-5 or you have a custom setting of 4465 or less.

CRC errors can mean that along with dirty, smudged or bad press.
    But it can also mean that Shrink can't handle the copy protection. Since it's no longer updated there are quite a few it can no longer handle on it's own.
    So try ripping w/ DVDFab HD Decrypter 1st. It's still updated to handle the newer stuff.
    Then open the video_ts folder in Shrink.

3. NUMBER_4

NUMBER_4 Guest

Oohh, it costs money... I'm not a big spender, even if it is cheap. Would DVD Decrypter better match my needs?

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

actually DVDFab HD decrypter is free, the platinum or gold versions or not free.

just use the link that Binkie provided in her post, to DL the free version.

5. NUMBER_4

NUMBER_4 Guest

Oh, I see. Thanks! :)

But DVD Decrypter does do the same thing, though, right?

6. binkie7

Yes it does but it too is no longer updated so there are some movies it can't handle either. Good to have anyhow imho.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is the only freeware for copy protection removal that's still updated.

7. NUMBER_4

NUMBER_4 Guest

Alright, thanks!

8. binkie7

You're welcome

Here's another tip for ya too - if you want the image to show in your sig go to edit my account>edit personal information.
    In the signature block make the img tags lower case like [​IMG]

9. NUMBER_4

NUMBER_4 Guest

Aha! Success!

10. binkie7

Yep your good to do now :)

11. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

Does DVDShrink actually shrink the files or does it just adjust the qaulity until it all fits into the desired setting?

What is the difference besides FAB being updated between Shrink and FAB?

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I dont know of the full FabPLatinum or FabGold, never used them but the free version puts a backup of a DVD on your hard drive. Shrink used to rip, then compress, and can for old ones still. DVDFab can only rip, you have to open Shrink after. Its an extra step in the process but works well.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  13. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

One more question, under preview in the DVDshrink preferences it give you and option of Select DirectX video Render. What is this for and does it have any effect on the DVD creation?

14. binkie7

It doesn't have any effect on the dvd creation - just the preview option. You can just leave it set to the default - system default renderer.