1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Questions from Newbie?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by athlon70, Dec 8, 2004.

1. athlon70

athlon70 Member

I had been using just DVD Shrink to backup movies for about 2weeks, but started having problems with discs working good for 85-90% of the movie, then the last 10-15minutes would jump and skip etc, freeze up.

So i read the DVD decryptor/Shrink thread, i now use shrink then DVD decryptor to burn?

What benefits will using DVD Decryptor to burn instead of Nero give me? Will it get rid of the jumping etc?

Also in the guide it says you select DVD Decryptor as the burning software instead of nero in the drop down box when setting up Shrink? Mine doesn't give me that option, so i have to wait for it to finish than manually tell it where the file is.

Thanks

PS: If anyone can point me in the direction of a program that will not give me wasted discs, please do so. Paying for a program is not an issue so long as it works.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello athlon70, Symptoms of poor media being used on your backup :1) freezing...2) pixelating... 3)chapter skips,pauses... 4)bad audio,color... 5)Plain old no disc inserted when the disc is in the driver. 6) Too much data on disc.Cure:... 1)Quality media... 2)slower burn speed on that backup...3)Firmware update...4)Burner or stand alone player replacement...What media are you using?Try a quality media, this is usual problem.Your stand alone is telling you it don't like the disk.Can the drive that burned your backup play that backup ok?It usually does.I haven't had to use dvd decrypter yet. Dvd shrink and nero 6.0 do it all for me with no problems.The advantages of dvd decrypter to burn?I have heard it is quicker. I wouldn't know. I stick to what works for me.I just ticked burn with nero in preferences for dvd shrink.The question on your p.s. is already answered on your freezing issue.These are excellent programs and better than the high $$$ ones.Hope this gets you going and come on back. Later

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Try knocking the Target File Size back to 4,300MB :)

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

i totally agree with what Nephilim said
    it is recommended to do anyway and will keep the movie from burning to the edge of disc

5. HARRYPSI

HARRYPSI Member

I had the same problem with the movie freezing up about 90% the way through. I was fed -up with making coasters. Tried different programs - tried splitting the movie onto 2 discs ( 1 hour on each disc ) which seemed to work most of the time. But ------------
    what solved the problem for me was replacing the burner itself - I bought a quality burner the Plextor 712-A and have not had a problem since. Best price was on TigerDirect.com