1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mauxe, Dec 2, 2004.

1. mauxe

mauxe Member

I started ripping dvd's and compressing them using dvd shrink about a week ago after finding this site and it's very helpful guides. Twice I have also been able to just use dvd decrypter which worked very, very well (kids movies). I recently picked up a japanese movie (Gojoe: Spirit War Chronicle) which seemed to have poor initial quality and when I did my usual full disc backup I was only able to get a compression rate of 60%.. most of the dvd's I have done so far have been around 67-70 or so. Anyhow, the playback was very poor.. obvious pixelation. So I looked closer at the disc through dvd shrink and realized that the extras on the disc took up a bit of space.. then I figured out that I could NOT do a full backup and instead re-author the disc to only burn the main movie. This brought me up to 76% (with japanese language and english subtitles). The picture looked TONS better but for some reason the subtitles would not play. That is one problem. When I re-burned the disc with the english audio only it shot up to 80% and looked even better. My main concern though is that I have been reading on these forums that people are regularly getting over 80% for their movies. When I put in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone though, even with re-authoring and only having the english 5.1 audio track I am only getting 66%. Is there a step I am missing or am I just expecting too much?
    Thanks in advance.
    Oh, and if anyone has advice for the subtitles I would be grateful.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear Mauxe,
    When you use DVD Shrink and click 'Re-author', you'll notice two small boxes below: 'Compression Settings' and 'DVD Browser'. Click 'DVD Browser' and you'll see the contents of the DVD. Double click any item would transfer it to the left window (i.e. your compilation). Then if you highlight any item in the left window and click 'Compression Settings', the right window would change and you'll have a choice to select the audio and compression ratio for that particular item (select 'custom ratio' under 'video' and use the slide bar). When you do this, you'll notice that both the size of the highlighted item in the left window and the overall compilation size (green bar at top) would change. That's basically how you can custom adjust the video and audio settings of a DVD to fit your taste.
    Happy DVD editing!

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok if you burned the subtitles onto the disk then they are probably there. What you have to do, and most DVD players have this is press the button on your remote that says "subtitles" and it should go threw all the subtitles you burned on the disk. Another way to check this is to put the DVD in your computer and play it threw your DVD software. Then you can right click on the DVD picture and usually pick the subtitles there. If they are not there or greyed in you probably don't have the subtitles copied. You could also run the disk back threw Shrink and see if they are there.
    As far as Harry Potter compressing the movie 34%, well this is normal that movie is 2hrs 32min long so I am afraid 66% is the best you can do. The only other alternative would be to use 2ch audio, but this DVD only has 5.1 audio english so you don't even have that option. Most movies in reauthor mode will be in the 90 to 100% range, but your longer movies are going to compress more. That sounded stupid of course you realized that ;-) Any way to get better quality you should always reauthor and copy only the movie with one audio 5.1 english prefferably.
    I hope this helps you some what anyway,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

4. mauxe

mauxe Member

Yes that definitely makes sense. I was just reading posts of people getting Spiderman 2 at 97% and it made me think that I was missing something. Thanks for the reply :)

I tried the subtitle button and it switched between Subtitles Off and Subtitle 1.. but no actual subtitles. I am still messing with it though.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

One more thing, well actually 2 :)
    Another smart thing to do if you are compressing a movie that much is make sure you use deep anaylsis in Shrink, and burn at the lowest speed possible this will take a little longer but it is well worth it in the long run.
    2nd If your DVD player is shifting threw subtitles then they are there in some shape or form. Why you can't read them would be another question to bring up in here?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105