1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink - Region free or my own region

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by snowmaaan, Aug 23, 2004.

1. snowmaaan

snowmaaan Member

Is there a benefit to choosing to make your dvd in region 4 only - as opposed to region free?

I heard maybe it may create problems on some players

I was concerned that if I make it only region 4, our 2nd player, which is a region free machine, may have issues reading it

Also thought making it region 4 only may increase quality

It may all be a load of rubbish - what do you think?

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

Im my opinion, choose the "Region free" setting. There is little point inviting, potential, problems into the equation.

3. sylvister

sylvister Member

how do u use dvd shrink

4. snowmaaan

snowmaaan Member

sylvister, i backup my dvd's with it, I shrink to 80% if necessary, and if less then I just burn the movie only

I have made heaps of coffee coasters due to bad media, and so am trying to find a way to increase the likelihood of success

cheers

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

snowmaan, use RW's til you get it right, saves on coasters. I hope you mean 20% compression with that 80% comment. You can actually shrink up to 40% compression with good results, using the quality settings.

sylvister, here is a quickie shrink guide I wrote for newbies, you should be able to burn 1st time out, again, use RW media til you get it right.

1-open shrink

2-click on open disc

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. I would recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

good luck...

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  6. michigan

michigan Guest

Great guide BigO, a couple of little add ons from me.(hope you don't mind)

[bold]On your desktop (or somewhere else that is easy to find) create a folder for all of your DVD work (name it something like "all dvd work")[/bold]

1-open shrink
    [bold]1a-go to properties and set your disc size to "custom size" make the size 4300[/bold]

2-click on "open disc"[bold] and select the proper drive[/bold]

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. I would recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder[bold]that you created on your desktop earlier[/bold]

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute! check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking! [bold]This is important[/bold]

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Not bad, but it's easy to edit! lol

One thing I actually put my temp folder on my drive that I have dedicated to all my video work instead of desktop(I call it shrink temp), and also shrink will auto create one for you if you wish. (but then pay attention cos you might need to find it)

Also you can delete those files manually as shrink gives the option at the end of the burn, or you can leave them there(if you have the room) and shrink will ask you if you want it to delete them the next time you burn.

Also, I did provide an instruction for selecting DVD size.(under #7) :)

If we keep adding we may have a guide to rival ddlooping's! lol

Oh yeah, don't mind at all if it'll help newbies, that's what it's for.
    _
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  8. michigan

michigan Guest

[bold]Also, I did provide an instruction for selecting DVD size.(under #7) :)[/bold]

But if you do it in the properties you don't have to mess with it again.

[bold]If we keep adding we may have a guide to rival ddlooping's! lol[/bold]
    Or Pete's

9. MrOizo

MrOizo Member

Hi Michigan !

A little question...

At the present time, what is the best quality setting for adaptive error compensation (aec) ? Sharp, Smooth, Maximum Smoothness, etc. ?

Many thanks !

Bye,

Mr Oizo

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I'm not michigan, but to answer your question: It will vary from movie to movie. The setting that probably overall that yields the best results? Max Smoothness

11. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Big "O" and Michigan
    It'll never rival Pete's,,, not enough too-ra-loo's and ta-da's,,, rofl
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gateway 2.5ghz P4 XP SP2
    DVD Shrink, dvd decrypter, Nero 6
    LGE 4020b Ritek GO4's DVDInfoPro
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    "As you wander down this path called life, let this one thing be you goal. Keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole[/small]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  12. BIG_ZANE

BIG_ZANE Member

Hi

Im on windows millenium and when i try to install DVD Shrink 3.2 when it is finished the installer opens up in Internet Explorer. Why? And what program do i use to install it. Shouldn't it come up on its own.

Please Help Me