1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink runs slower than molasses.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by kerry708, Apr 17, 2007.

1. kerry708

kerry708 Member

When I try to open the program, it takes forever. When I try and open a DVD with it, it goes about at a normal speed. When I try to burn the dvd it says that is going to take 90 something hours. To be honest with you, I'm through with DVD Shrink. Maybe you guys could help me, but really why I'm posting here is because I want to know what is a good alternative to DVD shrink? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance you guys.

2. semid13

semid13 Regular member

You must be kidding.
    I have been using DVD Shrink for more than a year & I am still very happy with the performance even though it no longer have any updates. I am also using CloneDVD 2 with AnyDVD.
    As I have always said - it's the fault of the system & not the software.
    DVD ripping requires a powerful system & uses a lot of resources. If your PC is not up to par, the ripping may take ages to complete.

3. kerry708

kerry708 Member

I've used DVD shrink for over a year with no problems at all. My system is up to par as well. I did move to a new house though, and my computer was in storage for five months. I set up my computer at my new house and try to use DVD shrink and its all slow and stuff. Even though I did NOTHING to it. So I don't understand...

4. semid13

semid13 Regular member

Did you do any defrag on your HDD before you do the ripping? You'll need a minimum of 10Gb unfragmented disk space to process a DVD5 movie. Your HDD & burner must be in DMA mode & interface must be IDE or SATA. You can't set to DMA mode when your interface is RAID.

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Shrink is still a very good program, all it needs is a little help

DVDFab(to rip to the HDD)
    VoBblanker OR FixVTS(to clean all the files up)
    DVDShrink(you know why)
    IMGburn(to burn) or use any burner you like

Here are 2 guides for you
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/Back up DVD w fab,vixvts,shrink,imageburn.pdf

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/334154

edit
    Have you tried re-installing shrink?
    maybe use a registry cleaner/fixer

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  6. Dnola3

Dnola3 Member

Sorry to the OP for butting in with my problem, I just figured it wasn't worth creating a new thread about... I was wondering suppose I had a system with an Athlon AMD 64 x2 dual core 5600+ processer, 4gb of pc5300 667 mhz RAM ...well actually, none of that is my point, my question is what are the main components that need to be powerful in order to make DVDShrink run as fast as possible? Is the main thing the processor? the motherboard? memory? hard drive? Thanks, and again my apologies for sticking my problem in someone elses thread.

7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Its the CPU, because the transcoding/encoding programs are most heavy on the processor, as they will use almost all, if not all your CPU power

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Shrink is a CPU hawg, but other programs don't take as much of the CPU. Though Shrink takes all it can, is will scale back to allow other programs to work if the system has enough resources. With a 5600 X2 it's possible to run Shrink, surf the net, and answer a few questions on AD. ;) Having enough RAM is important. Not enough and the system starts paging. A 10000 RPM Raptor is going to help speed things up as well in comparison to your average HDD.

@semid13
    Burners and optical drives need to be in DMA mode and not PIO. SATA isn't part of the DMA-PIO convention. IDE and SATA are types of bus interface.

9. kerry708

kerry708 Member

Forget it. I just went ahead and bought DVD Fab Platinum.

10. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

L.O.L

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I do believe if I was going to get off the money, I'd have gone for AnyDVD + CloneDVD2.

12. kerry708

kerry708 Member

Whats wrong with DVD Fab Platinum? It gets the job done. I don't understand.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That's easy, DVDFab Platinum doesn't have as good of a track record as AnyDVD + CloneDVD2 and the Slysoft software is more flexible. AnyDVD can be used in a large number of combinations with different software.

Don't get me wrong. DVDFab Platinum is a good program. It's just that AnyDVD + CloneDVD2 are better.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  14. semid13

semid13 Regular member

Yeah. CloneDVD2 & AnyDVD are good brothers but I like DVD Shrink for it's Re-authoring - very easy to use & even when you mixed up the titles sequence, it will still lined up for you. I don't know how it did it though.