1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink slow encoding

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Brewster, May 14, 2004.

1. Brewster

Brewster Member

I've tried DVD X Copy Express and now DVD shrink but when I installed each of them they ran perfect about 20 mins to read and the same to burn but lately both have gone to about 50 mins to read and with DVD X Copy about 40 mins to burn but with DVD shrink it takes about 15 mins to burn. Is there some thing Im doing wrong? DMA is ok, antivirus is disabled??
    P3 1GHZ
    256 ram
    Pioneer 106D DVD RW
    Liteon DVD rom

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

defrag your system. that might help.

3. Braxas

Braxas Member

I'd certainly recommend defragmenting the system as was already said. Remember that burning/encoding dvd's moves a lot of data around and will cause fragmentation to occur a lot sooner than normal.

Something else you can check into is in DVD Shrink Edit and then Preferences. Click the File I/O tab at the top. Put a check in "Enable Overlapped I/O - This may increase ripping performance". Also under the "Output Files" tab you could put a check in "Logical remapping of enabled streams". The last one probably won't make much of a difference in performance but you never know.

4. flip218

Just a lil comparision: Just made a backup to two movies. On the dell it only took 45min. the other movie which was done on the gateway took just over 2 hours. Sometimes it's just the computer, but the most important thing is both backups were successful.

5. xwolfbagx

xwolfbagx Member

Man that sucks. I just started using Decrypter, Dvd Shrink, and Nero to make my back ups. I never bought a burner so i use my brothers computer which takes about 45-50 minutes to deep analyze a disc and then the same time to compress it. THen i decided....hmm i dont think my brother wants me taking up his computer all the time so ill just rip them on his computer, get on my computer to analyze and compress, then burn them on his. But noooo when i get on mine it takes twice as much time on dvd shrink as his... and my computer is a lot newer than his. Does anyone know anything i could do to make mine the same speed.

my brother said its cuz athlons are better. but there has to be a way.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Here's a couple of basic things to check. Check that all drives and IDE controllers are set for DMA in device manager. If you are ripping with a dvd burner, it may be locked at a 2x rip speed. You will need a hacked firmware to unlock the drive if thats the case. My rips were 2x before, now up to 12x after the firmware hack. Another thing that helps is to have the dvd burner as MASTER on the second IDE channel. Not slave. Hope this helps get your speed up.

Jerry

7. xwolfbagx

xwolfbagx Member

all i am doing is using dvd shrink to compress the file though. I already ripped the dvds on my brothers comp and it takes my computer 2 hours to analyze and then 2 hours to encode.

8. flip218

xwolfbagx, here's something to compare. What's your bro's processor, how much ram and what type of ram? Also what processor do you have, how much ram, and what type.

9. flip218

Jerry746, you don't lose any data ripping that fast? If not, I have a TDK 840G and NEC ND-2100A do you know where I might find hacked firmware for those drives? Thanks.

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

No data loss at 12x rip. Here's the site for most hacked firmware.
    http://www.rpc1.com.

Use the search for your drive on that site.
    Jerry

11. xwolfbagx

xwolfbagx Member

haha guys i figured out what was wrong. I was trying to compress the files that were on his computer with the dvd shrink software on my computer. The network card wouldnt let enough mbps through so it would take 155 minutes...i went to the store and bought another network card which lets me compress in 20 minutes. now i just need to get a burner for my computer! maybe i should try ebay