1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink stops and freezes my computer ... running Win XP

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Topaze, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Topaze

Topaze Member

Help... please... I am using DVD Shrink... latest version... am at my wits end trying to get this movie done (Finding Neverland)... and I have one more to do... I don't understand why it won't work now ... has been fine in the past?... I have decrypting whole movie first... tried to shrink first... tried main movie only ... nada... zilch

I have resinstalled it... twice... any ideas please?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

what did you rip it with? and what version?

3. Topaze

Topaze Member

Hi, DVD Decrypter latest version I believe.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

v3.5.4.0 ? and did it rip ok to HD?

did you use file mode or iso read?

and are all DD settings default? just like when you installed?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Topaz,

Exactly where did you have trouble ? With DVDD, DVD Shrink ?

Ripping ?

Encoding ?

What is the movie ?

Are you using a guide OR just guessing about your settings, etc ?

Information = a solution

Pete

6. Topaze

Topaze Member

the trouble is with DVD Shrink and the movie is Finding Neverland... it gets to about 21% of working and then stops and freezes my computer... it has always worked before ... I haven't changed anything ...

7. Topaze

Topaze Member

could it be the disc itself?... a bad one?

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

if you ripped it the disc must of been ok!

do you have plenty of hard drive space left?

i have heard say here that some make the paging file bigger to cope with dvd shrink?

9. Topaze

Topaze Member

no... lots of room... just tried it again... same thing... now I'm in trouble :)

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

just a shot in the dark, do you have anydvd running?

11. Topaze

Topaze Member

no I don't

12. wild77

wild77 Guest

Shrink will push your processor!

Have you checked your CPU temps while encoding with Shrink.

Have you tried another movie?

13. Topaze

Topaze Member

yes, same with another movie... I wasn't aware I was supposed to since it worked before ... and how do I do that please?

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

One thing to do is make sure the inside of the PC is dust free and the fans are working properly.

Second, How much RAM do you have and what are you trying to do while Shrink is working.

Pete

15. Topaze

Topaze Member

I have 992 mb ram... PC is clean and when shrink is working... I leave it alone

16. Topaze

Topaze Member

I have 992 mb ram... PC is clean and when shrink is working... I leave PC alone

17. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Can I ask where you find out how much RAM you have? I know I am stupid, god I am sooo stupid. But please anyone?

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Topaz,

Ok, as we say, Information = solution

The answer is a "Dodgy" disc - try thoese tricks using DVDD to rip and we should get it to behave :)

Let's use DVDD ~> RIPPING WITH DVD DECRYPTER
    Fine-Tuning DVD Decrypter
    Let's take a moment to fine-tune your DVD Decrypter's settings. First, it should be version 3.5.2.0. Go to "Tools", "Settings", set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab change, "Removal Method" from "Normal" to "Aggressive", in "File Mode", "tick" Remove IFO/BUP PUO's." For ripping in the "ISO, Read Mode", "tick" "Remove IFO/BUP PUO's" there also. in the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . IMPORTANT: In the "I / O" tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This is an excellent setting for dealing with lightly scratched discs which may cause reading problems. We're now finished with our settings here so click "OK." There's no reason to change these settings. DVDD is good ripper right out of the box, all we did is to give it some "teeth." (Lol :)

Under "Mode" we have a choice of either File or ISO Read to rip our DVD. I like to try it in the "File" Mode. We want to create a folder named VIDEO_TS (written like that ~> case sensitive) as a destination location.

The main page S/B self explanatory - Now, go rip our happy heart out - :)

OK, iffin you need a new version (Jan. 05, '05)
    Here it is -
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Then pick it up using DVD Shrink "Open Files" and process as usual.

If you still have problems, ~>

Here are some extra "Tricks" for your "Hard to rip" DVD's -

1. This is a bit "wacky" BUT it has worked for some pple. Rebooting your PC (cleaning out all the memory) allows some discs to be seen better - As I said, it can't hurt and it's worth a try -

2. Begin by playing your DVD with your PC's player. Play the main feature for two or three minutes then open DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter or your weapon of choice. - As soon as you begin your rip turn off your player so it doesn't interfere with your analyzing. The playing beforehand is only so that your ripping program can "find" your DVD.

3. The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" and works like a "Bad Dog". :)

NOW, if all of these fail I would put it down to a bad disc OR Mfgr error and return the disc for a replacement one. It may even be a regional problem affecting an entire batch. Though rare it has happened and should be considered. If this is so, buying a disc from another area OR, probably easier, wait some little time and exchange it again trying for a different batch.

Let's see if that will do it -

Pete

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@
    zenarrrow,

To find out how much RAM you have,

Go to "Start" - Control Panel - System - and there, on the front page, where it says "System Properties", in the lower right-hand corner you'll see your Processor speed and your RAM amount.

Remember where that location is . . . you'll need to go there most anytime you have PC trouble.

Cheers,

Pete

20. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Now for another stupid question, it is only 256 MB and 2.4 GHz I don't think that is very good anything I can do to improve? God, I am so embarrassed. I know my thing says member, but that is from stupid, I mean being stupid and asking lots o' questions. But I have learned quite alot of helpful info.