1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink takes ages to backup

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by avalon63, Aug 12, 2004.

1. avalon63

avalon63 Member

I have used DVD shrink for almost two month now and was more than happy with the software. Until a few days ago: the avarage time for a back up (including analysing, encoding and back up)used to be between 50 mins and an hour. The reading rate was about 3.3 kb/s. From one backup to the other the avarage has gone up to 1.5 kb/s. No relevant changes have been made to either hard drive or DVD driver. I have also installed the latest DVD shrink software, checked for viruses, trojan and other malware.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Are you using the advanced quality settings? Deep analysis will increase your time dramatically, but is well worth the wait.

This is only in the new shrink, so if you were using an older version, that could explain the difference.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SOHW 832S dual layer[/small]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  3. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

avalon63, if you want DVD Shrink v3.2 to be as fast as v3.1.7, simply do not select the new quality settings.
    When high compression is used (Ratio < 80%) you will not get as good a quality though. ;)
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  4. avalon63

avalon63 Member

The backup started to slow down significantly while still using version 3.1.7. I upgraded it thinking it could solve the issue. But it was not the case.
    We thought also it could depend on the type of blank DVD, but this can be excluded, too.
    Basically, we did the back up at the usual speed, the next one in and that when we noticed that it took the almost double the time.
    We are really at a loss on what else to do.
    Every suggestion is more than welcome and thank you to those who have left messages so far.

5. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

avalon63, have you recently defragmented your hard-drive(s)?

6. avalon63

avalon63 Member

Yes, defragged several times, virus checked, ram memory checker and maximiser. We have a 512 memory.
    It basically changed speed from one backup to the next without having changed any settings or other.
    Does anyone know of an utiliy that checks the performance of a DVD drive?
    Thanks for reading

7. smyle1977

smyle1977 Member

I was having long backup times and burn times, like an hour for each. But then I upgraded my firmware on my digital research drive, and now my backup times are about 20 minutes, and my burn times at 4x is about 15 minutes. But I do only the movie, nothing else. Try checking your firmware.

8. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Something [bold]has[/bold] to have changed, or the speed would be what it was.
    What about Windows updates?