1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink takes FOREVER after upgrade. Please help.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by egmfan1, May 5, 2007.

1. egmfan1

egmfan1 Member

Ok, so I recently decided to do a small upgrade. My original specs were:

AMD64 3500+ 2.2ghz, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) ATI X800XL AGP, Antec TruePower 2.0 430Watt PS.

The upgrade I made was to an Asus A8N-SLI SE motherboard and an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT. I put the parts in, and right away, everything seemed fine, which was odd since I ALWAYS run into problems when upgrading. So, it's been working fine and all. I'm getting around to reinstalling my old programs. Then, one day, I try to burn some of my video files to a disc. I first make the movie with nero, and then shrink it using DVD shrink. Encoding starts out fast, but as it goes on, the minutes build and build, from 6 minutes to 40. Burning also takes forever.

Anyway, any ideas?

2. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

egmfan1, hi and welcome to the forum , first off i would do a clean reinstall of your DVD Burning software. also make sure you're drives are in DMA mode not in PIO mode this can cause slow downs in encoding and burning. you can fix that in device manager or use this guide

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038

also make sure you have the latest firmware update for you're drives check here. and make sure you don't have a heat problem within you're PC

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

3. egmfan1

egmfan1 Member

Already on DMA.

What do you mean exactly by heat problem? In the PC overall or just the CPU or what?

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

You checked primary and secondary, both HDD and disc drives?

Encoding is very CPU intensive...I would check to see that all your case fans are working properly. Also, does this happen for all discs or just a select few? Are you making backups of backups or ripping and encoding from originals? All internal drives (HDD and optical) or a mixture?

5. egmfan1

egmfan1 Member

Well, while it's encoding, Speedfan tells me my cpu is at 37C, so I don't think that's the problem.

It does it when I backup a DVD, a burned dvd, and from files made with nero. I'm able to burn the files through nero just fine, it's DVD shrink i'm having trouble with it seems.

I'll try an older version of DVD shrink.

6. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

or try using another transcoding tool like clonedvd 2 or Fab, nero recode etc.

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't think that would be necessary...as stated, since you have Nero I would give Recode a shot.

8. egmfan1

egmfan1 Member

What's that?

9. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

recode is Incorporated within Nero 6 or nero 7

10. egmfan1

egmfan1 Member

Hmmm...I don't think I have that.

11. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

12. egmfan1

egmfan1 Member

Could be because I have the OEM version.

Does it work like DVD shrink?

13. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

yes, it is made by the same people as shrink.
    it is also faster than shrink too IMO.

have you tried reinstalling shrink?

14. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yes Recode is a Transcoder like dvd shrink

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2007
  15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've not seen Recode in any of the OEM packs. If you have the OEM and no Recode, you can try the full function trial version downloadable from the website.

Different members have asked and suggested you delete and reinstall Shrink. Have you? Along with that, have you been keeping your system maintenance up (defragging, running anti-virus, ad ware removal, running disk cleanup in accessories under system tools, and running a reg tool occasionally)?

The only thing about the latest version of Shrink that would cause slower transcoding is the Quality Settings (AEC). They're t there for better output under compression, but they do slow down transcoding. If faster is more important, don't use them. Then 3.2 runs as fast as the older versions. Going back to an older version won't help unless it's just the matter of deleting the current program and reinstalling. That's already been suggested more than once.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  16. egmfan1

egmfan1 Member

Ok, i'll try a few things and report back. But on note:

I guess i've been keeping up. I mean, like I said in the OP, I just upgraded so I reinstalled windows. I haven't defragged in a while though, so i'll do that.

Also, i'm trying a trial version of recode, but it won't let me back up regular dvds. I get a copy protected message. Shrink didn't do that.

Anyway, i'll try reinstalling shrink.

17. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

you will need to run anydvd behind nero recode as i said Recode is a Transcoder ONLY!! and can't remove the copy protection

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

egmfan1
    DVD Shrink never had the best decryption software, but it has some capability. It's best to use another method of decryption, especially with newer copy protection. It just flat out won't work with some. Shrink has been having some problems with AnyDVD when transcoding some movies. Slysoft finally got around to working on it and the new release due out any time should once again work seamlessly with Shrink. The current beta is 6142 and has lasted a few days, so we'll see. All that said, you may be better off ripping with DVDFab HD decrypter until the new AnyDVD is released. DVDFab is free. The AnyDVD has a 21 day trial and then you have to purchase.

With a lot of the new transcoding programs like Recode, the authors have to create them without any form of decryption software so they will be legal for sale. They'll work fine with your home movies, but when it comes to the protected factory DVDs, you have to have the decryption software we've mentioned.

I forgot to add, burning has nothing to do with Shrink other than it starts a few of the burners it supports. By that time Shrink has transcoded the output and is done. If the burn is slow, you're looking at a different issue than Shrink running slow. It may be the same cause, but it wouldn't be Shrink.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  19. egmfan1

egmfan1 Member

I dunno, I'm not liking the idea of having to use to programs at once. Dvd shrink used to do it all in one swift (ok, maybe not swift) motion.

Can I use DVDfab with recode?

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

DVDFab rips the files to the hard drive and during the process it removes the decryption and copy protection. The files should be usable with any program that works with video files.

Recode has no decryption software at all, so it definitely has to have a program like DVDFab HD Decrypter. There are few true 1-Click DVD backup programs left, so it would be a good idea to learn the different programs. Even when Shrink was still supported the author said to use DVD Decrypter when decryption problems came up. So, things haven't changed that much. Shrink has needed programs to help with decryption in the past and still does.