1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink takes over 1 hour to complete full burn cycle

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by art800, Apr 12, 2007.

1. art800

art800 Member

This is the 2nd time it has occured. DVD Shrink has slowed down considerably-- to approx. over 1 hour plus to complete a copy

the first time, my friend tested the two plextor burners and they burned within 10 - 20 minutes. So I purchase a new hard drive.. Installed. DVD shrink started to burn a complete cycle back to its original time, within 30 minutes. About 3 months as of today... The problem started occuring again.. DVD shrink would take over an hour or more or not even work...

I also use AnyDVD in cinjuction with DVD Shrink.. Any Suggestions?

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

3. art800

art800 Member

Using Nero....It was burning fast for a couple of months... I guess it is on DMA.. How to Check.. Go to Device Manager?

4. art800

art800 Member

Yesterday Shrink completed the burn w/nero.. in 1 hour 20 minutes.
    Normally, it would take approx. 30 minutes or less. The last couple of movies I tried to burn w/DVD shrink plus AnyDVD, it did not work.. So I used DVD Decrpyter Main Movie in order for DVD Shrink to work... However if u choose Full Disc w/DVDDecrypter. Dvd Shrink would not work..

5. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

The link I provided will give you information about DMA.

6. art800

art800 Member

Thanks For the Link

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Check in Device Manager to see if DMA or PIO is on. The Secondary channel usually has the optical drives and the hard drives are on the Primary. Double click the channel and look in Advanced Settings or right click the desired channel and select Properies and look under the Advanced Settings tab. Note current transfer mode. Transfer Mode: is the setting that's desired, not necessarily what the drive is in, that's the Current Transfer Mode. SATA doesn't use DMA.

[​IMG]

#I is the Control Panel. Follow I, II, III. Hard drives on Primary Channel and optical drives on Secondary Channel. Uninstall and reboot to kick drives back into DMA on. After Reboot check to make sure DMA is on. If problems persist, check IDE cables, drives and mobo.
    [​IMG]

As for the software to handle the new heavier copy protection, everything you need is Here and then some. ;)

8. art800

art800 Member

Checked my computer... Both plextor burners .716sa and 740 are both DMA selected... However, I noticed that they both are set to Primary Drives.... Any other suggestions... Just pluged in my external plextor 750 and it also takes over 1 hour to complete DVD shrink cycle. However, the external plextor burns within 30 minutes at another computer..

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Is/are the hard drive(s) IDE or SATA? Whether a problem or not depends on the drive configuration. I was just pointing out the usual convention for drive configurations, especially the older tech ones where both HDD and optical drives are IDE.

There's a number of factors that slow down a PC and affect its speed in relation to others. Using the external drive on another PC isn't a usable comparison unless the other PC is an exact replica of the one you said is slowing down. Have you been keeping up the system housecleaning and doing a regular defrag of the hard drive(s)? What are your system resources? As a system ages things get added, more processes and programs can take up the system resources. I have a fairly fast system and sometimes it takes about 25-30 minutes to get a good rip. Some of the new titles can take extra time. However old releases you've done before shouldn't be taking much longer. Also, the quality settings in shrink add more time if they're used. There can be a noticable difference between one movie and another due to content.

10. art800

art800 Member

using (1)) Maxtor sata harddrive 160 gb.. I defrag every two weeks... I run Regisrty Mechanic Every week. Run CCCleaner every day.. Disk scan cleanup every week. Some one told me to update motherboard BIOS? I'll try that.. Dell computer - 2 years old. Have 1064 ram.
    Have four 250gb external Harddrives hook up to Computer, however, they are not turned on. System resources- AVG - Windows Defender,verizon security(yahoo security), AnyDVD when burning- on or off - process still slow (AnyDVD), printer is off. Registry Mechanic.. I tried to close many of the system resources that I see on the bottom right of desktop. Don't really, know about other processors.. I check yesterday about the performance and the green lines stayed on first lower level.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sounds like you're doing a good job of "housecleaning". It makes you problem sound even more strange. I'll have to scratch my head a while on that one.

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

A few simple things needs mentioned.... Shrink is not set to Low priority and as PacMan mentioned:
    Are Deep Analysis/Quality inhancements on?

Try a rip to your hdd with Shrink. See if its the rip or the burn process that's taking too long.

See what processes are running in the background in your Task Manager. Maybe something is sucking up resources.

So you have a terabyte of external harddrives? Can you unplug a few of them during the process? Maybe they are pulling the power down a bit. Seems unlikely but sometimes it's something simple.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007