1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink takes over 2 hrs to burn

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dudleyl, Apr 27, 2005.

1. dudleyl

dudleyl Member

Is it me or is it standard that DVDShrink takes a long time to burn. I put the movie in my laptop, blank in my burner, click on DVDShrink, click open, backup (takes at least 1 1/2 hours), then it burns for another 1 hr.

2. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Some factors that play a role in the duration:

- How fast your processor is
    - The compression needed to compress to fit on to a blank dvd-r
    - Whether or not if you're multi-tasking during the transcoding/burning stages
    - What speed you used to burn
    - Whether or not if you enabled Deep Analysis and/or the High Adaptive... to produce better results in compressing...
    - Whether or not if you're backing up the whole disc or just the main movie...

Shrink is slow, but the quality is well worth it. I can share your pain with the time it takes to shrink and burn. My comp is 5 years old...

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I used to use a 600MHz CPU laptop with 512MB RAM and Shrink took over 5 hours sometimes with quality enhancements. I think it's mostly dependent on your CPU speed.

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

It could be your DMA is not enable, which was switched to PIO, or simply it's your processor and Ram is too low. Are you using the net, doing something with your comp. while backing up? I've got Intel P4 with 2.67 GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD and I can SHRINK it at anywhere from 22 - 25 minutes, and burn with DeCrypter roughly at 7 - 8 minutes. Overall, with a total from 30 - 40 minutes max with deep analysis.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  6. Sugcat

Sugcat Member

Hi dudley,
    I had the same problem when I bought my external dvd burner for my laptop. It took almost 2 hours to encode and 1 hour to burn! Geez!!!
    So I bought a Hi-speed usb 2.0 cardbus adapter [d-link].Fixed the problem! Now I encode within 15 minutes and burn about the time....
    But if yours is a internal burner...I dont know...

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

oh, yeah. If you are using external and your USB isn't USB2.0, you are gonna be waiting a while. USB2.0 is supposed to transfer at 480MB/sec I think, USB1.1 is like 12MB/sec I think (numbers might be wrong, but there's a huge difference between 1.1 and 2.0). Now if you can use firewire, that's even faster than USB2.0.