1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink taking a long time

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jerdog1, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jerdog1

jerdog1 Member

hello everyone, I am new here, I have been backing up my movies for awhile now, and have noticed that it is taking too long to burn the dvd on my hardrive, like over 2 hours, before it would only take 45 mins. Is there a way I can change the setting in dvd shrink so it will rip at a faster speed? thanks in advance.

2. georgen

georgen Member

Hi all,

I too, all of a sudden, am experiencing very long reads and writes, using both DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 and DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0. Indeed, when using Decrypter with 8x Ritedata media, my LiteOn Model SOHW1633S CD/DVD burner is only writing at a speed of 1.6x --- barely crawing along!!!

I'm operating on a Windows XP, SP2 OS, with an Intel P4-3000Mhz and 1GB RAM.

Something in my computer has radically changed. Before this happened, both the read and write process was moving along at lightening-fast speed.

The only recent installations were Roxio 6.0 (only the Drag-to-Disk function -- the writing process is left to Nero 6.0), and Java Runtime Environment 5.0. I can't imagine either had anything to do with my slowdown problem.

I don't think re-installing Shrink and Decrypter would help in my case. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

3. wild77

wild77 Guest

Roxio Drag to Disc will cause problems with burning programs.Do a search and type in [bold]drag to disc[/bold] there are several threads discussing drag to disc,In CD and other packet writing software.I am able to rip to my hard drive with decrypter on average in 10-15 minutes.Also check Windows Device Manager to check that your drives are in DMA Mode not PIO.Here is the link for drag to disc
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/152154
    This link describes DMA & PIO
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1161/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
  4. georgen

georgen Member

Thanks wild77. Indeed, I traced it to a DMA problem. Evidently, because in Windows XP after three or so error sessions, the IDE Channel associated with the burner has changed from a Current Transfer Mode set to Ultra DMA, to a Current Transfer Mode of PIO, thus GREATLY reducing the read and write transfer rate.

I tried to uninstall the burner by physically disconnecting the associated connector attached to the motherboard, rebooting the machine, and then after another shutdown, reinstalling the the connector. However, it didn't help because evidently the OS remembers the previous setting for any particular hardware.

Therefore, to get around the problem, I reinserted the burner connector to the Secondary IDE Channel. Windows recognized it as new hardware, and once again gave me the "Ultra DMA Mode 2" as the Current Transfer Mode.

However, I really don't like losing the primary IDE channel and wonder if thee's some way using regedit to get into the registry and "clear" the registry of the burner in the primary IDE channel, i.e., make the OS think that no hardware has been previously attached?

Any thoughts or ideas???
    Thanks

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i think you remove your ide channels in device manager, then reboot, maybe manually set dma, you'll find the complete answer in many posts on her. but i use w2k and am glad i don't use Win XP for the DMA issue alone :)

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

georgen

Where is what connected to…

Primary IDE to only your HD’s I hope

Secondary IDE connected to your optical drives.

Is this correct?

You do not have to physically remove them from your system under XP for changes to take place as far as DMA/IPO issues. You can do this in device manager.

So again, how are they setup now if you would?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  7. georgen

georgen Member

Creaky and Scubabud,

I appreciate your inputs, but in Windows XP, there are "built-in limitations." You cannot, at will, change to DMA mode when the field is grayed out.

What finally helped me to get back to the original settings is the following web site which specifically addresses this issue wherein the OS changes the transfer mode from DMA to PIO.

http://sniptools.com/vault/getting-back-to-dma-mode-in-windows-xp.htm

Many thanks, all.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

georgen

That is incorrect and here is how you can do it:

In device manager select ATA controllers
    Then select Secondary IDE controller.

Uninstall Secondary IDE channel and either click on “find new hardware” or better yet, reboot.

Once that takes place, XP will find the new hardware and reset it back to DMA mode.

This information is throughout this forum since this happens quite often.

The safest and fastest way to reset without hacking into the registry as your link suggests!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  9. georgen

georgen Member

Thank you ScubaBud.

I stand corrected and will certainly take up your suggestion, should this happen again. I certainly wasn't happy about going into the registry but at the time, didn't see any other way around the problem.

BTW... I completely unstalled Roxio as I believe this was the root cause of my problems. I'm now using Nero 6.0 exclusively, including InCD.

Thank you again, ScubaBud.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks for letting us know everything is OK and also if you would, let me know how it works with InCd being installed. So many here talk about InCd conflicts that most do not install it. That also might be because there was, actually still is an issue with the old DVDxCopy program and InCD. If it works good for you let us know that as well. Thanks again.

11. jilleg

jilleg Member

ScubaBud,
    I too am having trouble with recent delays burning dvds. I read this forum and followed your instructions to go into Device Manager. I do not have a "Secondary IDE Controller" but do have a "Secondary IDE Channel." Is this the same thing and should I uninstall this device?

The controllers listed are:
    -Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
    -Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F

There are also 2 Primary IDE Channels and 1 Secondary IDE Channel.

When I look in the Channels' menus they have an option for transfer for either POI Only or DMA if Available. I have all channels set at DMA if Available and one of the Channels still lists the current transfer mode as POI Mode. Please help!

12. wild77

wild77 Guest

13. jilleg

jilleg Member

Thank you, it worked perfect!

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

jilleg

Glad you got it to work, and yes that is what I meant. Channel instead of controller. :)

15. georgen

georgen Member

Kudos to Matthew Bidinger for his outstanding technical piece, "Make PIO Go!, and many thanks to wild77 for making us newbies aware of it.

A great forum... thank you all!

16. boob

boob Guest

very nice link wild. thank you

17. wild77

wild77 Guest

No problem! teach and learn.Some times a few pictures are worth a thousand words.

18. georgen

georgen Member

A problem not directly associated with this thread but thought you guys would quickly know the solution.

In WinXP, SP2, I seem to have lost my "Run Command"!!!

When I click the Start button, it no longer is displayed in the menu. I rebooted several times, all to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

19. boob

boob Guest

right click start button > properties > start menu tab > customize > advanced > scroll down the start menu items list > check the run command item > OK > apply

20. georgen

georgen Member

Thank you for your help boob. Your fix worked fine, although I don't understand what caused it to disappear.