1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink/ the punisher problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by danb69, Mar 3, 2005.

1. danb69

danb69 Member

when i try to back up my files, it says dvd encountered an error and cannot continue, exception occuried

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Try DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD in the background first.
    Then shrink and burn.

3. wild77

wild77 Guest

I did this movie with Decrypter and Shrink in Re-Author Mode and took the Main Movie only.Others have done a full back up with Shrink by changing the unreferenced material into a Still Image.See if this thread helps,Good Luck!

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/131429

4. danb69

danb69 Member

i will try these both thanks a lot

5. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

I backed The Punisher up using ONLY DVDShrink & Nero. No Problem. I did use Shrink in Re-Author mode & ripped the main movie only.

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

SEARCH!!!!!!! If you would have you would know to insert a still picture or still image for the un-referenced material.

7. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Sounds like you have a bad disk. I used dvdshrink about 2 months and copied with no issues. Try cleaning it and look for scratches. Sounds like its not your fault though

8. danb69

danb69 Member

thanks i backed it in re-author mode and it worked. thanks again. im still new obviously

9. iyam2

iyam2 Member

This is my first posting on this website, so hopefully I'm doing this right. I read and tried everything I could find in all threads for ripping the Punisher DVD and the only solution that worked for me was re-authoring on DVDShrink and taking just the main movie and ignoring the rest. Using still images for the unreferenced material changed nothing, trying to output the entire thing as iso didn't work, (Note: I'm using the latest on both DVDShrink and Decryptor). But at least I have the main movie backed up now.

10. resinger

resinger Member

What I have found is that sometimes the difficulties arise by using the latestversion of DVD Shrink. I've found that DVD Shrink 3.1 will do the job when 3.2 won't. Today I ripped SNIPER 3 using Shrink 3.2 (with AnyDVD--latest version--) and with about 2 minutes to go I got an "invalid handle" message. I tried ripping with Shrink 3.1, and it worked fine.

11. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

I saw this sort of just got passed over. You should really try this before you start thinking that DVDShrink is the problem. Just insert the still image and you should be fine.

12. iyam2

iyam2 Member

Just to clarify my comments, the "still image" solution did NOT work and therefore I was forced to rip just the movie alone. I attemped still image for the entire unreferenced material section and when that didn't solve the problem, I tried it for each individual subsection... still did not resolve issue. I don't doubt it worked for some, but as I have seen in other threads, this solution didn't work for everyone.

13. iyam2

iyam2 Member

A friend had me try a different approach and I was able to burn the entire Punisher movie without a problem. I haven't seen this solution posted, so figured I'd share.
    Instead of using DVDShrink to shrink the decrypted files, I used Nero 6.6.0.1 and opened the Nero Recode 2 program (its under the "MyDVDBackup" section or "Recode DVD/Video" icon). Then I imported my decrypted files from my hard drive. I don't know if you had to do this next step, but just in case I opted to "Disable" the Unreferenced Material and selected it as a "custom picture" instead. Then I selected "Next" and selected the type of burn I wanted (Burn-at-once, high quality mode, and Speed: 4x for me).

It worked perfectly though the burn process took a LONG time. Something like 4 hours. So I wouldn't recommend this method for every situation, but its another option if DVDShrink fails at least.

My 2 cents.

14. wild77

wild77 Guest

Recode2 and Shrink were written by the same person.You can do the same with Shrink by turning the Unreferenced Material to still images as well.I just like doing the Main Movie Only which also solves the problem

15. iyam2

iyam2 Member

Yeah I was told that also regarding the authors, except the still image solution did not work for me on DVDShrink with Punisher (hence why I had to find alternative methods). So between Nero and DVDShrink, at least one should work.

16. TiTan1

TiTan1 Member

Great Thread, it totally fixed my issue, thanks for all your dedicated wisdom!