1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink..total burn time = 7 hours!!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by chadcruz, Feb 22, 2005.

1. chadcruz

chadcruz Member

Hi eveyone, I'm new to the forum and I've noticed a few posts about slow encoding and burn time. Currently its taking me approx 5-7 hours from start to finish to encode and burn a dvd using dvd shrink!! I've havent channged the settings from the default settings.
    The initial analysis is quite fats (around 1,585kb/s) and only takes a couple of mins...so thats no probs.
    I've been clicking 'back up dvd' and using the drive source to burn with nero.
    The analysing phase then takes approx 1 hour (thats with enable preview off).
    Then comes the encoding part which takes 6-7 hours!!!

After it finally encodes the burning part is fine..doesnt take too long to write onto the blank dvd at all.

My main prob is this freaking encoding...anyone got any tips for this problem? it would be greatly appreciated!

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

check your dma settings.

3. chadcruz

chadcruz Member

Ok I've checked the DMA settings and they read as follows:

Device 0
    Device Type: Auto detection
    Transfer mode: DMA if available
    Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 2

Device 1
    Device type: Auto dection
    Current transfer mode: not applicable

I dont know a lot in regards to DMA settings...do these look ok?

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well the good news is that at least you can burn a DVD, it is just taking waaay too long. How about telling us a bit about your system. Processor, RAM HDD specs, Operating system and anything else you can think of. What kind of drives are you using?

About the only thing you can do now is just check to make sure you have Shrink set up correctly. At least to see if we can speed it up.

Edit > Preferences > Make sure the "Run analysis in Low priority mode" is unchecked.

After you select "Backup!"....

Quality Settings tab > Uncheck the deep analysis box if it is checked.

Have you ever burned a DVD without it taking this much time? My brother does all his burning on an older P3 machine with Shrink and Decrypter. It takes him several hours to burn but is just the nature of his machine.

Make sure you have done all the normal PC maintenance tasks like disc cleanup, defragging etc.

5. chadcruz

chadcruz Member

System info:
    IBM Netfinity 3000
    Pentium III
    547 MHz 256MB ECC RAM
    Segate 80GB HDD ST38001A
    Windows XP home edition
    Sony DRU-710A CD/DVD combo drive
    I also have the most recent version of Nero.

I also have slyfox's 'any dvd' installed for automatic removal of region coding..I dont think this would have anything to do with slowing the system but I'd thought I'd mention it just in case.

6. hursty

hursty Active member

i take it your pc is fairly old.
    i had this same problem problem until last week,then i upgraded,my rip speeds have gone from 3 hrs to 45 minutes(none compressed=10 mins!)total
    all depends on what movie it is
    if it has to be heavily compressed,it will take longer
    turn off any dvd,turn off anything you are not using,internet,anti vir etc etc.

7. chadcruz

chadcruz Member

Yeah the PC is fairly old...however

I havent had any other programs open other than dvd shrink when burning, I've even made sure to disable the preview to ensure it can burn efficiently.

I've tried a few movies now - a few with many chapters, others with only a couple of chapters and its pretty much the same thing...5 -7 hours waiting around for it to encode.

I know it might not be much of a comparison..but I've never had any speed issues burning cds or using any other applications.

8. hursty

hursty Active member

you are using the device with dma enabled?

other than that,its just down to your pc spec

the only thing you can do to speed up is to reauthor and just copy main movie

my new pc takes about 15 secs for a comparision

what do you mean by this?ther is only 2 parts to shrink
    the intitial stage
    then the encoding stage
    then you burn it

9. chadcruz

chadcruz Member

As I said, I'm really a novice when it comes to DMA..however I did check the settings which read as follows...I assume that they are correct? and that DMA is enabled?

Device 0
    Device Type: Auto detection
    Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 2

Device 1
    Device type: Auto dection
    Current transfer mode: not applicable

What I meant by the analysing phase was that I had the 'deep analysis' box checked which analysed the dvd before encoding.

10. hursty

hursty Active member

turn off deep analysis

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Yep as hursty said, turn off the Deep Analysis. That will speed things up somewhat. You are using an older processor with a rather limited amount of RAM. An upgrade to 512 MB would probably help, although how much with this processor I do not know. Your times seem reasonable, considering your hardware.

Make sure you are using the least amount of compression possible:

After the movie finishes analyzing, select "Reauthor" and then drag the movie main title only into the left screen. Once that is done, select the Compression Setting tab and remove unneeded Audio and Subpictures.

You can figure out what Audio to keep by starting the movie preview and then right clicking on the preview window. A menu opens. Select Audio from the menu. This will list the available audio tracks. Click a track and listen to it. When you figure out the one you want, just make sure that it's box is ticked and the rest are unticked.

Note: The Audio preview does not select the audio track to be burned, it only lets you hear different tracks. Selection for burning is made from the list under the Compression Settings tab.

A compression number above 70% will usually be OK. Thats the threshold level I use at any rate. Below that I'll use Deep Analysis.

By reducing the size of the video files you reduce the need for excessive compression... which reduces your need for Deep Analysis!

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Just running XP will use most of the 256ram you have. The suggestion to up the ram to 512 should help. Just don't expect to do a backup in under 2 hrs. Like the guys stated your processor is on the slow side. Good luck.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  13. johnau1

johnau1 Member

Hi,i have read some of the replys and it looks like you're still having trouble,try this and see how you go.1st get you're model number and make, look it up on the web site,go to software, and get the update for you're firmware....IT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM.

Cheers
    john

14. chadcruz

chadcruz Member

Hey thanks for the tips! I think the idea about adding RAM is a good idea.
    I'll look into updating the firmware as well...hadnt even thought of doing that!
    I'm determine to sort this problem out so once again thanks for the advice.

In regard to my DMA settings which I posted...do the settings look ok?

15. johnau1

johnau1 Member

Hi, try the firmware first..but the more room the better.lol, your're MDA in windows xp should be on that altready, when you're burning and it tells you that you're drive is not set to MDA it really is??? i dont know why it say's that but it does. Dont change anything to the MDA, if you have, change it back, and just leave it ok, The firm wear will work well, it will take you baout 45 min all up to burn the dvd, i had the same trouble, but now, WOW
    Cheers
    John

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Your DMA settings are correct if you are only using one drive and the settings you posted are for your secondary IDE channel. Are you ripping with your burner? Not a great idea but if that is what you have to use then you definitely want to make sure your firmware is up to date.(Good eye johnau1!)
    Are you checking the correct IDE channel?

Device Manager > expand ATA/ATAPI controllers > double click the secondary IDE channel. > Advanced Settings.

Check your drive installation as well.

For a single DVD drive installation you can have the drive installed on either your primary IDE channel (the same one your HDD is on) or by itself on the secondary IDE buss. If you install it on the secondary, it should be installed at the end of the cable with the jumper on the back set to master. If you install it on the Primary buss with your hard drive, then it should again go on the end of the cable with the jumper set to slave.

17. johnau1

johnau1 Member

Hi
    You have all right, well done.
    Cheers
    John

Ps.. DMA.. Not MDA..lol as i said, but you know i meant.