1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink update??

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by squijello, Mar 24, 2005.

1. squijello

squijello Regular member

is this the end of dvd shrink, there has not been an update for quite some time and soon it may become way less functional than comparable products. Yes, its free, but whats the point of having a program that may soon not even compare to other solutions??

Is it going to be updated any time soon?

2. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

What is a comparable (free) product? How is it less functional?

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

the bloke who made works for ahead now so recode is a very similar product

how can it become out of date??? if it cant read a disc use decrypter first or run anydvd/dvd43 in the back ground

For the money paid, i dont think youll ever find a better compression program

4. squijello

squijello Regular member

thats too bad, so its only a matter of time before dvd shrink becomes obsolete... i will need to look at currently supported software like dvd2one, even if that means paying for it!

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

what exactly do you mean by obsolete??
    not reading discs?? already happened so use decrypter/anydvd/dvd43
    not recoding to a decent quality?? shrink has been voted one of the best time and time again
    one day not being able to encode at all?? only when they suddenly change the dvd standard (and then your standalone wont play it any way, expect this to happen when next gen comes out)
    until then its an excellent, free program that does everything asked of it IMHO

6. squijello

squijello Regular member

ok... so bascically i should run something like dvd43 in the background and i should be fine then?

are there any real advantages to dvd2one? i read the quality is better for compressed dvds somewhere

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

of course there are better products out there, but guess what - they cost money!. nothing wrong with that at all, but they can also become out of date. Granted , they can be updated. But at the end of the day you should try out Shrink before dismissing it out of hand. Used correctly, the quality is amazing (i only copy the main movie, not interested in all the extras). It's not like trying it is going to cost you anything, you could use rewritable discs to test it