1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink versus Pinnacle Instant Copy

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Sjeiz, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Sjeiz

Sjeiz Guest

Hi all,

When I read the forum, I see a lot of people advising to use DVD Shrink.

What are the pro's and con's of both programs. I like the quality that Pinnacle delivers

Let's start:

[bold]Pinnacle Instant Copy[/bold]
    - delivers outstanding compression quality
    - very simple program to use
    - cannot rip dvd's (I use DVD decrypt)
    - cannot dump extra's, etc. Only sound tracks and subtitles can be skipped

[bold]DVD Shrink[/bold]
    - can rip DVD's
    - reauthor mode, so only main movie can be selected

At this moment, I use Pinnacle Instant copy, using maximum compression for the extra's and minimum compression for the main movie. If a DVD is to big, and compression for the main movie must be set too high, I use DVD Shrink to reauthor and keep only the main movie. I then use Pinnacle IC to resize to DVD-5.

My two cents, what are your opinions on the two programs?

Regards,
    Erik

2. Sjeiz

Sjeiz Guest

Pinnacle Instant copy uses a variable compression; darker frames (less detail) are more compresses than lighter frames (more detail), resulting in a better quality.

How does DVD Shrink compression works? Is the same amount of compression aplied to all frames, regardles the amount of detail in the frame, or does it do some kind of intelligent compression as well?

Another 2 cents

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD Shrink without a doubt!

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Pinnacle Instant Copy, in my own opinion, but i've only ever tried it like once!! Variable encoding beats Constant by far on playback and nobody can deny that!

5. Sjeiz

Sjeiz Guest

Orphus wrote: DVD Shrink without a doubt!

Any argumentation to go with that statement or do we take just your word for it?

Regards,
    Sjeiz

6. slave

slave Member

use dvd shrink
    get it from the software section
    NOW
    used dvd decrypter& dvd21 only main film on
    use shrink all of the menus and film
    carnt tell the difference
    shrink shrink god how many times do i have to say it man
    use shrink

7. BlankFrnk

BlankFrnk Guest

They both work very well - use whichever one you like :)

Although bear in mind that DVD Shrink is free and DVD2One in not!

DVD2One is probably simpler to use (very simple - only a few clicks) DVD Shrink has a nicer interface and more things to play with/customise.

At the end of the day neither of them have let me down. If you are unsure try DVD Shrink first cos its free.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2003
  8. bj34

bj34 Member

Use Shrink- Instant copy locks up my computer EVERY time now when analyzing video!has gotten progressively worse over time@

9. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I use both DVD Shrink 2.3 & DVD2One

Both better than Instant Copy [bold]IMHO [/bold]

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sorry Sjeiz, i just didn't see the point in elaborating! How's this:

I have both DVD Shrink v2.3 and Pinnacle Instant Copy 7 installed on my system. I have used both with success. The Pinnacle software delivers excellent compression quality, outstanding isnt a word i would use for it, but takes a good bit longer than DVD Shrink. Pinnacle does NOT allow you to remove extras and re-author the disc. This is a feature i use as i dont include extras in my back-ups.

Your method of using both programs to obtain the best results, is fine. I just dont need to go to those lengths. Since i leave out the extras, very often i only have to compress by 5 or 10%. At these compression levels you would not notice the difference between the Pinnacle output and the DVD Shrink output. In fact, might i go as far as saying that the DVD Shrink version 2.x compression algorithm delivers a truely excellent video output.

My two cents? Why pay for a program that takes twice as long, doesnt have a re-authoring facility, and cannot rip DVD's? DVD Shrink does all this, but does it cost you? No. DVD Shrink is free, FREE i say!

So, i return to my original answer:

[bold]DVD Shrink without a doubt!![/bold]

11. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

DVD2ONE is what i use, i should get more into all the dvd backup software and everything other than into vcd/svcd/divx stuff so i can come back and start a huge argument! lol

The only thing that really gets to me, that really annoysme is in a couple of years, we will laugh at people who still use these programs!! it's crazy!

12. usmcja

usmcja Guest

i have been having problems with dvd shrink all of a sudden comes up with errors when trying to preview dvds now

need help

data error:
    (cyclic redundancy check)
    cdvdcss: read failed

13. coreydj

coreydj Member

i used dvd shrink and the xcopy xpress, and various other methods......dvd shrink is really good, say this with me >>>>>FREE!!! just dont compress to the max. dvd shrink gives u the option for movie only or full disk. some movies that u have u might not want the extras. i use nero to burn in UDF/ISO mode and create my own AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. come out compatible with every dvd player i've tried

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The one problem with DVD Shrink is that it does not really work to well if you have ripped the DVD already with something like smart ripper and want to compress it. If you are usign a pre-ripped DVD, DVD2One is advisible to use.

CoreyDJ, let me know how u get on.

Chris

15. coreydj

coreydj Member

i ripped all the files with dvd decrypter. then then followed the simple (to me anyway) directions. some movies that are very large must be re-authored. make your own video and audio folders. place all the files in the video folder. if using nero don't use the already made dvd option...it don't work well with a lot of players. use the ISO/UDF mode (last option in nero)placet the created video and audio folders there.under udf check the box force dvd compatibility mode - no multisession, under iso check only iso level 2 and iso 9660 - everything else must be unchecked---then burn---great back up

16. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You burn the movie in Nero as an ISO. I've heard of a lot of problems with this. Dont you use DVD Video option and place all the files into the Video_TS folder?

Chris

17. BlankFrnk

BlankFrnk Guest

Oriphus - why do you say it doesn't work too well with pre-ripped files. I've ripped all my movies with DVD-Decrypter and compressed with DVD Shrink with no problems. I know I'm probably introducing an unnecessary step by using DVD Decrypter - but hey...

..I like it! :)

18. usmcja

usmcja Guest

does anyone have problems burning their dvds, with nero 5.5.10 after using dvdshrink?

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The reason i say it doesnt work to well is just that. Its tempramental. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

20. coreydj

coreydj Member

NO I DON'T USE THE DVD OPTION BECUZ it don't work well...and i use the latest nero which is .35....