1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink very slow... (no, it's not a DMA problem)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by JohnCU, Jan 2, 2005.

1. JohnCU

JohnCU Member

I'm using an external Plextor 16x DVDRW through an Adaptec USB 2.0 card on my laptop. DVD Shrink is ripping/encoding/doing its thing at 2500ish kb/s, and no matter what I've tried, I can't get it beyond that. I've turned off SpeedControl on the Plextor, and one time I got it to read at about 7000kb/s, but that was only once and have not been able to duplicate that since.

Specs:
    Windows XP
    1.13 P3
    512mb ram
    7200 rpm 40gb HDD

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

Perhaps try DVD Decrypter and see if that's any faster.......just a suggestion.

3. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Open your task manager, select Preformance, run DVD Shrink. If your CPU is at 100%, that is why it is slow. Your rates will depend on the movie, compression, deep analysis, CPU, etc. Mine range from 3000 to 11000 with P4 3.2GHz.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  4. msingh987

msingh987 Guest

THIS is unbelievable. I always keep trying alternative means to make money by scamming other people. I thought I'd come here and see if I can find any suckers who'll give me something for nothing. Fortunately for any would be suckers out there somebody spotted this and reported it to the mods who have banned me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005
  5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i hear more thunder . i see the sky is lit up . the ground is shaking !

6. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

when will people ever learn ?

8. bardie

bardie Regular member

where did msingh987 come from??......lol...lol

9. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Where do all bottom feeders come from. Sorry JohnCU, you will not be forgotten. Pond scum does not last long in these here parts.

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Who the hell is msingh987, & what the hell is he trying to do? Does he think we are all a bunch of dumb asses or what? What does this have to do with burning dvds?
    Listen up numb nuts, your wise ass "scheme" will not work on us. If it works for you screwing money out of people, then carry on. It is people like you with these pyramid schemes that cause honest people to lose money in the worst possible way. Playing on the promise to make lots of money. Just how low are you! Just don't expect us to play ball!
    I am taking a wild stab in the dark here, but I suspect that you are Mark Singh of Mark Singh 15720 Noga Way, North Hills, CA 91343.
    I would expect there to be a knock on your door in the not too distant future with a lot of people wanting to nail your ass to a tree.
    You have been warned.

You don't even have the intelligence to use a different name in the forum.

You deserve a good kicking my friend.

When will people ever learn?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  11. JohnCU

JohnCU Member

Whoa...thanks to those with good replies, I used DVD Decryptor and it reads at about 11,000 kb/s. But then I still need to use something to compress it...

and yes, CPU usage was at 100%.

12. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Johncu, why is this not a DMA problem?. When did you last de-frag & disc clean up? Have you any other apps running in the background. Is your USB2 working properly & up to speed? How long is it taking to read?
    A 1.13P3 is not the fastest in the world. What mode is the transfer at?

14. JohnCU

JohnCU Member

This isn't a DMA problem because it's external USB, not IDE. and I can burn CDRs at 48x so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with my USB system being slow. This is a clean version of Windows XP, formatted, tweaked, etc.

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

What have you done when you said "tweak"?
    I am assuming you have enabled DMA in the BIOS. If I am not mistaken when you flatten & reinstall XP, it defaults to DMA off, on both settings.
    With the greatest of respect to burn a cd only takes a couple of minutes on the slowest pc. Obviously down to there only being, at most, usually 700Mb to burn. Dvds have 4.38gig to transfer. That is some difference.
    What mode is transfer at UltraDMA, 6 or 5 or 4 or 3 or 2?
    Just sounds like DMA is not set properly. This is just a hunch, I am probably wrong, but I would like to know your settings.
    Pulsar

16. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

XP uses A lot of RAM. Thre is a guide to services you can turn off @ http://www.blackviper.com. It use to be better when it was just a .PDF file, but is useful info. I put XP on my old notebook and could not do a damm thing with it. XP used almost all the RAM it had.

Next you can cut off the program that launch ay startup.
    a. Click Start
    b. Click Run
    c. In the box type msconfig
    d. Click OK
    e. Click on the Startup tab
    f. Click on Disable All
    g. Click on Apply
    h. Click on the Services tab
    i. Check the box for Hide All Microsoft Services
    J. Uncheck all boxes that have to do with your Internet Security and Antivirus
    l. Click Apply
    m. Click Close
    n. Click on Restart
    o. After Restart you'll have a System Configuration Utility box pop up, check the box for
    "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows Starts"
    and click OK.
    Now you will have a lean mean burning machine.

As to the USB connection, check to make sure your on a enhanced port, that is the 2.0 connection.

If DVD Decrypter was reading at 11000, you are not having any trouble with your DVD drive. Again I will say that my rates are mostly around 4000 for compressions in the 75% area with deep analysis. This takes a 100% of my CPU power for 30-40 mintues for DVD Shrink to analysis and encode. If I rip w DVD Decrypter first(15 mins), the analysis is faster but it is lost because I spent that time ripping. Burning should take take 15 min @ 4X.
    With 1.13 GHz, your times and rates seem are in the ballpark. You might be able to tweak it a bit.

Stick with DVD Shrink for compression. It is a great program and it is free!

17. JohnCU

JohnCU Member

Thanks for the help.